Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

if during a fight with your SO...

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:53 AM
  • 60 Replies
You shook your head at something he said, or made some other movement signifying frustration, disagreement, or distaste with something he said (sighing, putting your head in your hands, etc), and he said "don't shake your head (sigh, etc.) at me!" what would you do or say back? My husband does this, and I think it's extremely controlling but I never have a good way to react to it.
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EricaG87
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:55 AM
Bump
bby4lydia
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Im not one to let my dh talk to me like that he knows ill go crazy. But id just say let me let you calm down before you make this any worse
RheaF
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this

We don't fight like that. however, if it did get to that point, I would tell him we both need to walk away, cool down, and discuss this later when we can both be calm and act like adults about it. IMHO, shaking your head at him(with no doubt a look on your face) is just as disrespectful as him telling you not to do it.

Bluerose1482
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:59 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm not good at come backs, but it sounds like something a parent would say to their child.  

Maybe something along the lines of, "Sorry dad, please don't take away my iphone."

EricaG87
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:59 AM
Maybe I could use that. I Just think that I'm entitled to normal bodily reactions to stress and frustration and that he's being controlling telling me I can't do those things.

Quoting bby4lydia: Im not one to let my dh talk to me like that he knows ill go crazy. But id just say let me let you calm down before you make this any worse
Gardeningmom4
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I tell mine don't say something stupid and I wouldn't do it..LOL.No usually when I do it it's because he is being silly and he is just kidding to me when he says that.But I would tell him don't tell me how to react and I won't tell you how to.

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd probably roll my eyes.
Or say I'll stop shakong my head when you stop being so thick. But that's probably not very nice lol
bby4lydia
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:01 AM
1 mom liked this
You are so next time he does tell him if not its gonna get worse. Controlling always starts with something small

Quoting EricaG87: Maybe I could use that. I Just think that I'm entitled to normal bodily reactions to stress and frustration and that he's being controlling telling me I can't do those things.

Quoting bby4lydia: Im not one to let my dh talk to me like that he knows ill go crazy. But id just say let me let you calm down before you make this any worse
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I would say "ok dad" and walk away lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EricaG87
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:01 AM
3 moms liked this
I don't think it's disrespectful at all. I think that we all have natural facial expressions and body movements that are caused by stress. But I guess it's just a difference in opinions.

Quoting RheaF:

We don't fight like that. however, if it did get to that point, I would tell him we both need to walk away, cool down, and discuss this later when we can both be calm and act like adults about it. IMHO, shaking your head at him(with no doubt a look on your face) is just as disrespectful as him telling you not to do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)