Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Wondering if Ds5 may have ADD/ADHD

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:34 AM
  • 42 Replies
He's always been a very rambunctious, cant sit still kinda kid. His behavior changes over the past year arent extreme but enough to send up some red flags.We are beginning to wonder if they could be signs of add/adhd or even some kind of sensory disorder. I'm not sure if I should address it with his pedi just yet. Here are some examples of the issues we are seeing right now:

-Has a very hard time controlling his emotions (outbursts of rage/anger)
-Alot of times literally CANNOT be still (say its dinner time or bed time, he says "mommy I CANT calm down". Its not out of defiance at all, its like his little body just truly cant get calm
-Some things make him hysterical, often its a small trigger. His bus driver reprimanded him yesterday, when I tried to talk to ds about it he ran to his room curled up on his bed and was screaming uncontrollably. I had to hold him in my lap until he was ok again(which wasnt until about 20min later) Its almost like he's in a trance when this happens, I dont know how else to explain it.

There are a few other things but these are the big ones. We are working with him and using different teaching methods to give him the tools to help him in controlling his own emotions,etc. Any advice?

Eta: added info from one of my replies to give a better idea of whats going on:
He likes stacking/building things mostly out of random objects. Often when he plays (like with cars) he doesnt "vroom" with them, he takes all of them and lines them up. If he's playing with figurines he'll line them up on a windowsill or something similar. He likes repetative noises/sounds

by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:36 AM

so hes throwing tantrums until you forget what you were reprimanding him for or feel so bad you still remember but dont reprimand him.

Rebirth0112
by NikStar on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:42 AM
That isnt helpful AT ALL. He isnt "throwing tantrums". Thats why I made this post, because his behavior *outside* the range of normal. I have 3 kids, I'd say my ability to judge the difference between normal/not normal is pretty damn good.

Quoting Anonymous:

so hes throwing tantrums until you forget what you were reprimanding him for or feel so bad you still remember but dont reprimand him.

Rebirth0112
by NikStar on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:43 AM
BUMP
Matka_Kinder
by Tina on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Can he pay attention when he's doing something he enjoys? Video games for example? I'd try a pediatric psychologist 1st. Has he had a blood/urine panel done?

Rebirth0112
by NikStar on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:51 AM
Yes, but he doesnt like video games or electronics at all. The things he does like are cars, imaginext toys. He likes stacking/building things mostly out of random objects. Often when he plays (like with cars) he doesnt "vroom" with them, he takes all of them and lines them up. If he's playing with figurines he'll line them up on a windowsill or something similar. He likes repetative noises/sounds

Quoting Matka_Kinder:

Can he pay attention when he's doing something he enjoys? Video games for example? I'd try a pediatric psychologist 1st. Has he had a blood/urine panel done?

LilysMama719
by Emmy on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Have you considered autism?

Quoting Rebirth0112: Yes, but he doesnt like video games or electronics at all. The things he does like are cars, imaginext toys. He likes stacking/building things mostly out of random objects. Often when he plays (like with cars) he doesnt "vroom" with them, he takes all of them and lines them up. If he's playing with figurines he'll line them up on a windowsill or something similar. He likes repetative noises/sounds

Quoting Matka_Kinder:

Rebirth0112
by NikStar on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:55 AM
No I hadnt thought about that but it does make sense. Thank you

Quoting LilysMama719: Have you considered autism?

Quoting Rebirth0112: Yes, but he doesnt like video games or electronics at all. The things he does like are cars, imaginext toys. He likes stacking/building things mostly out of random objects. Often when he plays (like with cars) he doesnt "vroom" with them, he takes all of them and lines them up. If he's playing with figurines he'll line them up on a windowsill or something similar. He likes repetative noises/sounds

Quoting Matka_Kinder:

Rebirth0112
by NikStar on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:55 AM
BUMP
TurtleMomma82
by Barbie on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:00 AM

This sounds like autism.  The repetition, the lining up objects......talk to his pediatrician, they can point you in the right direction to start getting him help.  I wish you luck mama! :)

Quoting Matka_Kinder:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:00 AM

oh you're one of those one that only wants to hear what you want to hear.

Rebirth0112: That isnt helpful AT ALL. He isnt "throwing tantrums". Thats why I made this post, because his behavior *outside* the range of normal. I have 3 kids, I'd say my ability to judge the difference between normal/not normal is pretty damn good.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)