Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should She Still Have to Pay? Pics ETA and UPDATE

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:32 AM
  • 696 Replies

My sister was getting a tattoo on her ankle. They completed the outline. This is it:

The guy was doing my sisters tattoo while she was sitting in a chair with her ankle on his lap. Now mind you, this is in a tattoo parlor, not some guys basement. So, my sister told the guy that she was feeling a bit dizzy. He said they'd take a break and he left her alone while he went out to smoke. Shortly after he went outside she passed out. She fell face first out of the chair and hit her head on a power strip and the floor. Here is the damage:

My sister was taken to the ER via ambulance. She has got a concussion, a broken nose, and it is believed that she was electrocuted by the power strip. Now, this guy who was doing her tattoo wants her to come back in a pay for the tattoo. I don't think she should have to pay because he was doing her tattoo in an unsafe position then left her alone when she said she was feeling dizzy. Am I just being the protective sister? Should she have to pay? Am I right and the guy was negligent and my sister shouldn't have to pay?

What do you think?

ETA

I tried to do and ETA earlier but I couldn't because apparently you can no longer edit or delete a post that is featured. I wanted to clarify that the issue was that he wanted her to pay for the entire tattoo. She did not receive the entire tattoo. She received a half assed outline. Also, some of you can't read so I've made the parts that you've had issues with bold. She did sign a release but no, I haven't asked for the details of it.

Now for the update.

My sister had always intended on paying the tattooist. I talked her out of paying until she spoke to the owner. She spoke to the owner and explained what happened and what the tattooist wanted her to pay. The tattooist did not deny that she said she was dizzy and he walked away. The owner told her not to bother paying the tattooist. The tattoist received a warning because leaving a client alone when they say they are dizzy is against the shops policy. The owner also offered to finish my sisters tattoo free of charge. My sister insisted on giving something to the artist who did the outline (she gave him $20) and told the owner that she had no problem paying for the tattoo to be finished. Just just didn't want to have to pay full price for it twice. The owner agreed but said he wanted to do it at a discounted rate so basically with the $20 she paid the other artist she's paying $75.

My sister does not intend on suing. 

by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pinkfairy0206
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:35 AM
21 moms liked this
Oh my gosh!! NO! she should not have to pay!! What kind of business is he running? He should have to pay for her bills!
o.O....
by Cara on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:37 AM
170 moms liked this
Sure- she can pay for the $60 outline and he can pay the $15000 hospital bill.
kbutton24
by Mrs.Sima on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:37 AM

umm no! 

Chibee
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:37 AM
66 moms liked this

I would say yes, she should pay.  If she wants to take up the way he does business with OSHA or some other way, then go ahead.   He did the work, she should pay for it.  What happened afterwards is a totally separate issue to look into.

mom2many747
by Momma Duck on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:38 AM
3 moms liked this

That's exactly what I told her! I said she needs to sue him for the the cost of her medical bills but she doesn't think she'd win. I was like, you told him you were dizzy, he left you alone...where is the question?

Quoting pinkfairy0206: Oh my gosh!! NO! she should not have to pay!! What kind of business is he running? He should have to pay for her bills!

Lennyloves
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:38 AM
21 moms liked this

That's a tough one.  I would think that he should get paid for his work.  It is unfortunate she passed out, but if she wasn't taking care of herself, there is no way to prove HE did anything wrong.

bottlesoup
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:40 AM
6 moms liked this
Get a lawyer immediately.
Mena929
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:41 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting o.O....: Sure- she can pay for the $60 outline and he can pay the $15000 hospital bill.

yup.

Sara-1989
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:41 AM
14 moms liked this
That's a risk you take when stupid enough to get a tattoo.
Matka_Kinder
by Tina on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:42 AM
5 moms liked this

this

Quoting Chibee:

I would say yes, she should pay.  If she wants to take up the way he does business with OSHA or some other way, then go ahead.   He did the work, she should pay for it.  What happened afterwards is a totally separate issue to look into.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)