Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Seriously they're crocs not high heels

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 5:23 PM
  • 162 Replies
5 moms liked this
Clearing some things up: yes, I can't spell and my phone autocorrects things half the time congratulations to all of you who have pointed this out. Moving on this isn't about my daughters ADHD but her sensitivity issues since many of yous think this is occurring because of her ADHD. To those who have read the whole post and realized I said it was because of her sensitivity issues thank you. Lastly, the Disney princess boots where them ugly snow boots you get at Walmart. The boots having Disney princess on them has nothing to do as to why she wore them, she wore them because they are super soft and it felt good to her. She has disney tennis shoes that she won't touch so nice try ladies. Now please by all means feel free to continue telling me how I'm a horrible mother, how my child is a spoiled snowflake, correcting my grammar and spelling (because we all know am getting graded on this), and tell me how my dd having a sensitivity issues is all in my dd and my head and how I should beat her (yes, someone basically said I should do this). Carry on and rip me to shreds like yous were and try to act like you know what it's like to have a child with sensitivity issues.

My dd is 5 and has ADHD along with sensitivity issues. It is nearly impossible to find shoes that she'll wear and keep on her feet. During the winter we lucked out and she was in love with some Disney princess boots that I got at Walmart. Well winter has come and gone and the boots were so ratty it was time for them to go. Off to the store we go to buy her new shoes and she fell in love with these crocs awesome! No shoelaces, easy on and off, and they're comfortable to her and don't bother her sensitivity issues. She wears them to school and after 3 days I receive a note saying school policy doesn't allow crocs because the children use fine motor skills and could get hurt. Now mind you there are kids who wear flip flops and little girls who wear flats which are easier to get hurt in then crocs. After all it's not like they're running around the classroom. So I comply and try to find my dd a pair of tennis shoes that work. We got a pair they were fine for a day and then she had issues. So I decided to let her wear the crocs. A week goes by of me sending her to school in these crocs. Nothing was said until yesterday when I dropped her off and her teacher starts with school policy blah blah. So I cut her off (immature I know but this is just the tip of iceberg of the problems we have had throughout the year) and said to her teacher look my daughter has ADHD and sensitivity issues both that you are aware of. It's nearly impossible finding clothes and shoes that work for her and don't cause problems. There are children wearing flip flops and flats that cause more injuries then crocs. Her crocs have a strap on the back and honestly there is a month left of school and if this is the only big issue in your day I would count your blessings because I hate to break it to you but she is wearing the crocs. Her teacher just stood there and stared at me with nothing to say. Am sorry but am so sick of these fresh out of college teachers who have children that don't met their textbook material children and creating issues out of nothing. Kids are going to fall and get hurt no matter what shoes they wear. When did it feel so necessary to put all these stupid school policies on things that really aren't that necessary?
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 5:26 PM
11 moms liked this

Just FYI, teachers get in trouble if there are students frequently out of dress code in their classrooms. If you have an issue with school policy, take it up with either the principal or the school board. Don't blame the teacher for enforcing rules she didn't even write. It's part of her job.

catcameback
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 5:28 PM
7 moms liked this

crocs aren't allowed in my school district.  They cause injuries.  Other people doing things that aren't wise don't excuse or allow your child to do something that is against policy.  

The teacher is just doing her job.  It's not her fault crocs aren't allowed.

cjsix
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 5:29 PM
8 moms liked this

I would think flip flops which can come off as they run around playing etc... would be a bigger problem than crocs with a strap that holds them on.

TXHulaMama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 5:29 PM
2 moms liked this

Crocs aren't allowed at DD's daycare either. The reason given being that they sometimes grip too well and kids fall. Sometimes into furniture causing injuries. I think it's getting to be pretty commonplace especially since so many people are sue happy.

Perhaps you could haven had your DD's doctor write a note stating she needs to wear them, or had a polite conversation with the principal about your concerns pertaining to their shoe policy instead of being rude to the teacher, who is only doing her job. She doesn't make the policy after all, but the messenger.

ToughMudderMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 5:30 PM
They're crocs not high heals and it's not like am sending my daughter to school in a mini skirt and tube top. She is going to school in crocs. I don't see how flats and flip flops are okay but crocs aren't. We have a month left and since she will be at a new school next year since her school now is not preschool.

Quoting B1Bomber:

Just FYI, teachers get in trouble if there are students frequently out of dress code in their classrooms. If you have an issue with school policy, take it up with either the principal or the school board. Don't blame the teacher for enforcing rules she didn't even write. It's part of her job.

KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 5:31 PM
2 moms liked this

I would fight that policy due to her special needs..

Or get a note from my doctor..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 30, 2014 at 5:33 PM
19 moms liked this
People like you want you're children to be treated equal to normal children . But when it comes to rules people should make exceptions for your special snowflake . If their gonna let your kid break the rules it's only fair they let other kids do it too
ToughMudderMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 5:33 PM
I would love to talk to the principal but she is a complete airhead who said my daughter was speech delayed. Never had a problem in daycare and she was advanced compared to the other kids and now here it's issues left and right. Took dd to get tested to tickle the principals fancy and my dd ended up testing way above average.

Quoting TXHulaMama:

Crocs aren't allowed at DD's daycare either. The reason given being that they sometimes grip too well and kids fall. Sometimes into furniture causing injuries. I think it's getting to be pretty commonplace especially since so many people are sue happy.

Perhaps you could haven had your DD's doctor write a note stating she needs to wear them, or had a polite conversation with the principal about your concerns pertaining to their shoe policy instead of being rude to the teacher, who is only doing her job. She doesn't make the policy after all, but the messenger.

Rhodin
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 5:33 PM
I know this sounds like a pain, but maybe you should look into a 504 plan so she can mildly violate the dress code and her future teachers won't be able to fuss about it.
RazzleMySpazz
by spaztastic on Apr. 30, 2014 at 5:34 PM

your child's school allows flip flops??????

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)