Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are people in the US really THAT damn self absorbed and short sighted?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:22 PM
  • 543 Replies
68 moms liked this

Seriously, everywhere I look, I hear nothing but "not my concern", "let them pull themselves up by their boot straps", "I don't care if other people can't afford food/housing/health care/fill in the blank with a basic human need", "I am not willing to give just a tiny fraction more to benefit millions". 

Whatever happened to caring about your fellow man? The first time I EVER encountered a homeless person was when I moved to the US. I was appalled. How can a First World country, a country with so many resources, be okay with having its inhabitants living on the streets? How can anybody feel it's okay for people to go hungry, to not have access to basic health care?

How can people be not only so selfish, but also so short sighted, that they don't understand bringing up the standard of living for EVERYBODY in the long run will actually benefit society as a whole? And why do people seem to think that nothing bad could ever happen to them, that they will never be in a position where they might need some help?

Seriously, it's disgusting. All this talk about Christian values, and how Christians care about their fellow man, blah blah blah. Yet here I am, an atheist, and I'm appalled by the lack of empathy and compassion. Not everybody, of course, but out of all the countries I've lived in and/or visited, it's by far the worst in the US.  

by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:24 PM
10 moms liked this

Eh. I am a Christian AND an American who does what she can to help. Even on here I do my best to show kindness to everyone. I do little things. I can't do a lot sometimes but I do what i can *shrugs*

AspirelI
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:24 PM
13 moms liked this
Not all of us.I agree with you.Also,an athiest.
JessMc33
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:25 PM
6 moms liked this
I completely agree with you, I'm appalled by my country and its inhabitants most of the time.
JessMc33
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:26 PM
20 moms liked this
Food stamps don't pay rent Sherlock.

Quoting Anonymous:

ummm there is PA, for the homeless, if they don't go down and apply , then they are chosing to be homeless.

Anouck
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:26 PM
9 moms liked this

I really didn't meant to imply that all Christians are like that.... Just that sometimes it seems that those who yell the loudest about "Christian values" are the most selfish. Values, morals, and compassion have very little to do with religion, in my opinion. 

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

Eh. I am a Christian AND an American who does what she can to help. Even on here I do my best to show kindness to everyone. I do little things. I can't do a lot sometimes but I do what i can *shrugs*

b1the1change
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:26 PM
I agree with you. Also not a Christian
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:27 PM
Exactly this.

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Nah, I get what you mean. I'm appalled by it too sometimes. In the end though all I can do is what I can do and hope that somewhere along the way others will too.

Quoting Anouck:

I really didn't meant to imply that all Christians are like that.... Just that sometimes it seems that those who yell the loudest about "Christian values" are the most selfish. Values, morals, and compassion have very little to do with religion, in my opinion. 

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

"My hope is anchored on the other side" -Switchfoot

sfigu16
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:28 PM

I dislike USA:( Ever since i moved here i have experienced a bunch of things i never experienced before 

It is a great country dont get me wrong 

but people dont tend to care 

bluemountain75
by SoftballMom on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:28 PM
Go talk to our government. Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN