Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are people in the US really THAT damn self absorbed and short sighted?

Posted by   + Show Post

Seriously, everywhere I look, I hear nothing but "not my concern", "let them pull themselves up by their boot straps", "I don't care if other people can't afford food/housing/health care/fill in the blank with a basic human need", "I am not willing to give just a tiny fraction more to benefit millions". 

Whatever happened to caring about your fellow man? The first time I EVER encountered a homeless person was when I moved to the US. I was appalled. How can a First World country, a country with so many resources, be okay with having its inhabitants living on the streets? How can anybody feel it's okay for people to go hungry, to not have access to basic health care?

How can people be not only so selfish, but also so short sighted, that they don't understand bringing up the standard of living for EVERYBODY in the long run will actually benefit society as a whole? And why do people seem to think that nothing bad could ever happen to them, that they will never be in a position where they might need some help?

Seriously, it's disgusting. All this talk about Christian values, and how Christians care about their fellow man, blah blah blah. Yet here I am, an atheist, and I'm appalled by the lack of empathy and compassion. Not everybody, of course, but out of all the countries I've lived in and/or visited, it's by far the worst in the US.  

by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:22 PM
Replies (321-330):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 68 on May. 1, 2014 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I am appalled at people who assume to know what a whole country thinks of the social issues that plague their communities.  You are just as bad as those you criticize.  

I am not willing to give government more money to skim and use for reasons other than what they tell me it will be used for.  I donate to organizations that help people in the community.  I do not want to be dependant on government EVER.  Government is not the answer to everything.  When the government takes so much in taxes and leaves less discretionary income for people to donate or help, they are making a big problem even larger.  Government is part of that problem.  

I think we also, as a nation, have to have an honest conversation about the differences between needs and wants.  What is necessary to live and what is a luxury.  I will not willingly throw good money at failed policy and expect a good outcome.  

brittybby2010
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2014 at 11:00 AM

It's not that they don't have access to help. It's just that 90% of the "homeless" you see aren't really wanting help. They either want money for drugs or have found it easier to beg. At least that's how it is in my city. 

CafeMom Tickers
SuDoNim
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Not only, that but programs that help one group of people ends up directly hurting another. For example, the way Section 8 artifically inflates the rental cost of non-subsidized housing, we are hit twice: once indirectly through our tax dollars, and then a second time directly at the wallet.

Again, I am in favor of strong social programs, but not at the expense of the lower middle class. When you are able to live beyond your means on someone else's dime, there is no incentive to get off of assistance. Something is very wrong when a family in a housing program can live in a bigger apartment for next to nothing, while a working-class family needs two incomes to make the rent on a smaller apartment.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

I'm not willing to contribute more to GOVERNMENT RUN welfare.  I don't know if you noticed, but it is terribly mismanaged and beyond bankrupt because of how the government chooses to spend that money.  Do people benefit?  Sure, but just enough for the politicians to use their needs as a tool to earn more votes.  It's sick.  Once you make a cent over your limit you're cut off from hundreds of dollars, so many people end up feeling trapped in the system, too.

I help out a lot in my local community.  Food banks, clothing donations, to even buying the man on the bench a hot meal when I see him.  I try to make a difference in the lives I can see because then I know it's actually making a difference where it is needed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 69 on May. 1, 2014 at 11:07 AM
3 moms liked this

Yes, the U.S. is full of horrible people who care only about themselves. *eyeroll*  The whole line about pulling up by one's bootstraps used to be something people were proud to do.  Now, it's okay to be lazy or just a fuck up and expect the country to take care of you forever.  This country was founded by people who grabbed hold of life and got things done.  They didn't sit around and wait for handouts.  A little more pride is what is called for here.  Too many people have forgotten to take pride in their life and go out and make their own way.  It's sad.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2014 at 11:07 AM

I was afraid if I touched on that tangent I'd end up doing a 30 page report on Social Security.  *cries.*

But you're right.  The government programs are robbing Peter to pay Paul, Paul to pay Rob, Rob to pay Richie, and Richie to pay Tony!  It never ends.  There is no money left in these programs and there won't be ever again.  Many are just a house of cards waiting to collapse.  It's a constant shuffle to make it appear something is there, but they're just about to draw the last drop of blood from a turnip and I fear that day.

Quoting SuDoNim:

Not only, that but programs that help one group of people ends up directly hurting another. For example, the way Section 8 artifically inflates the rental cost of non-subsidized housing, we are hit twice: once indirectly through our tax dollars, and then a second time directly at the wallet.

Again, I am in favor of strong social programs, but at the expense of the lower middle class. When you are able to live beyond your means on someone else's dime, there is no incentive to get off of assistance. Something is very wrong when a family in a housing program can live in a bigger apartment for next to nothing, while a working-class family needs two incomes to make the rent on a smaller apartment.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

I'm not willing to contribute more to GOVERNMENT RUN welfare.  I don't know if you noticed, but it is terribly mismanaged and beyond bankrupt because of how the government chooses to spend that money.  Do people benefit?  Sure, but just enough for the politicians to use their needs as a tool to earn more votes.  It's sick.  Once you make a cent over your limit you're cut off from hundreds of dollars, so many people end up feeling trapped in the system, too.

I help out a lot in my local community.  Food banks, clothing donations, to even buying the man on the bench a hot meal when I see him.  I try to make a difference in the lives I can see because then I know it's actually making a difference where it is needed.

mel0572
by New Member on May. 1, 2014 at 11:08 AM
It's not only in America,it's all over the world
Some People just forgot where they come from. They have a lil money think they better than rest of the world.
I help if it us possible with money but most with food I give away clothes who don't fit me or kids.
I been on my knees and I had a helping hand who pulled me back on my feet.
I know there are a few out here who been through bad times or still going through. And does are the once who believe God and the miracle that can happen.
I'm one of them
Anonymous
by Anonymous 70 on May. 1, 2014 at 11:10 AM
Pa only helps when you have kids. Other than than that it doesnt help. And I agree with you. We are actually doing a garden this year and are giving bags of the fruits and veggies we get to the shelter and homeless.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 71 on May. 1, 2014 at 11:14 AM
This. There is government programs to help people get on their feet. There is state programs to do the same. Then there are cheritable organizations (things put together by churches and local businesses to help the less fortunate) that also help.

I have no problem helping someone... but if they aren't willing to do their best to have a better life, then nothing I do will help. Period. They have the right to choose.

Quoting Anonymous:

ummm there is PA, for the homeless, if they don't go down and apply , then they are chosing to be homeless.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 71 on May. 1, 2014 at 11:15 AM
Wrong... before my sister ever had kids, she was on FS, cash assistance and housing assistance.

Quoting Anonymous: Pa only helps when you have kids. Other than than that it doesnt help. And I agree with you. We are actually doing a garden this year and are giving bags of the fruits and veggies we get to the shelter and homeless.
SuDoNim
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2014 at 11:16 AM

The difference in America is that we have a very skewed perception of what poverty is. People don't realize (or conveniently ignore) the fact that even the poorest of the poor in the USA are still in the top 14% of the global income distribution.

Quoting mel0572: It's not only in America,it's all over the world Some People just forgot where they come from. They have a lil money think they better than rest of the world. I help if it us possible with money but most with food I give away clothes who don't fit me or kids. I been on my knees and I had a helping hand who pulled me back on my feet. I know there are a few out here who been through bad times or still going through. And does are the once who believe God and the miracle that can happen. I'm one of them

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)