Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are people in the US really THAT damn self absorbed and short sighted?

Posted by   + Show Post

Seriously, everywhere I look, I hear nothing but "not my concern", "let them pull themselves up by their boot straps", "I don't care if other people can't afford food/housing/health care/fill in the blank with a basic human need", "I am not willing to give just a tiny fraction more to benefit millions". 

Whatever happened to caring about your fellow man? The first time I EVER encountered a homeless person was when I moved to the US. I was appalled. How can a First World country, a country with so many resources, be okay with having its inhabitants living on the streets? How can anybody feel it's okay for people to go hungry, to not have access to basic health care?

How can people be not only so selfish, but also so short sighted, that they don't understand bringing up the standard of living for EVERYBODY in the long run will actually benefit society as a whole? And why do people seem to think that nothing bad could ever happen to them, that they will never be in a position where they might need some help?

Seriously, it's disgusting. All this talk about Christian values, and how Christians care about their fellow man, blah blah blah. Yet here I am, an atheist, and I'm appalled by the lack of empathy and compassion. Not everybody, of course, but out of all the countries I've lived in and/or visited, it's by far the worst in the US.  

by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:22 PM
Replies (381-390):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 37 on May. 1, 2014 at 1:47 PM
I didn't suggest working part time.

Yes, it's hard. Your point?

Quoting Anonymous: Sometimes working part time and going to school means getting on welfare which many people like you bitch about why your tax dollars pay for that shit. Going to school, working and being a parent is hard work. I've done it. I almost had to drop out of school because I missed so much because I was a single parent so anytime my kid got sick I had to miss both work and school.

Quoting Anonymous: Yes, big bad me because I believe in responsibility and personal accountability. GMAFB.

She could go to school part time while working...you know, like millions of other parents have managed to do.

Those who refuse to better themselves belong in the bottom.

Quoting Anonymous: You are just the type of person the op was talking about. Clearly you have never been in a hard spot where doing something to better yourself isn't helpful to what you are doing now. Some people work 2 jobs just to make ends meet. How are they supposed to do something to better themselves without quitting a job and going on welfare while in school?

Quoting Anonymous: Then they need to work better. Again, they've had their whole lives to improve their situation.

Quoting Anonymous: You realize that a lot of jobs barely cover rent and bills right? A lot of jobs don't leave much for savings. With minimum wage being $7.25 in most of the country where are they supposed to get the money to save?

Quoting Anonymous: If they're over 65, they've had plenty of time to prepare for retirement. Like responsible adults.

Quoting Anonymous: Obviously its not your problem. I personally feel bad for a lot of these people though. Many are kids so not their choices. Others hot ridiculously hard times some from their own bad choices and some not . I've certainly made a bad choice here and there throughout my life , I don't believe that makes me or anyone else worthless . Lastly to many have mental health problems and that is a problem in this country. It makes no sense that so many can't get quality mental health help or they can't afford their medications yet we expect they should be able to come up with a plan to fix it all and to execute that plan . Ridiculous. When people say "not my problem" they're technically correct but they're also seriously lacking in empathy . I volunteer at the local soup kitchen and 80% or more are people over the age of 65 it breaks my heart to hear them talking about the financial choices and trade offs they have to make IMO our Country damn well should be embarrassed . Disgusting self centered egotistical country we've become.

Quoting Anonymous: Honestly though, why is it my problem to bail someone out from bad choices.

Quoting Anonymous: Unfortunately the US is far from alone when it comes to poor people that are homeless -> http://www.homelessworldcup.org/content/homelessness-statistics

Still I agree that the "not my problem.." folks are heartless self centered ass holes .
Anonymous
by Anonymous 73 on May. 1, 2014 at 1:50 PM
Sometimes it's not possible. But you don't see that because you choose not to. To you it's either do it or don't do it and it's all a choice. Sometimes it's just not possible. Sad that you can't figure that out. There isn't always enough hours in the day to work and go to school even part time.

Quoting Anonymous: I didn't suggest working part time.

Quoting Anonymous: Sometimes working part time and going to school means getting on welfare which many people like you bitch about why your tax dollars pay for that shit. Going to school, working and being a parent is hard work. I've done it. I almost had to drop out of school because I missed so much because I was a single parent so anytime my kid got sick I had to miss both work and school.

Quoting Anonymous: Yes, big bad me because I believe in responsibility and personal accountability. GMAFB.

She could go to school part time while working...you know, like millions of other parents have managed to do.

Quoting Anonymous: You are just the type of person the op was talking about. Clearly you have never been in a hard spot where doing something to better yourself isn't helpful to what you are doing now. Some people work 2 jobs just to make ends meet. How are they supposed to do something to better themselves without quitting a job and going on welfare while in school?

Quoting Anonymous: Then they need to work better. Again, they've had their whole lives to improve their situation.

Quoting Anonymous: You realize that a lot of jobs barely cover rent and bills right? A lot of jobs don't leave much for savings. With minimum wage being $7.25 in most of the country where are they supposed to get the money to save?

Quoting Anonymous: If they're over 65, they've had plenty of time to prepare for retirement. Like responsible adults.

Quoting Anonymous: Obviously its not your problem. I personally feel bad for a lot of these people though. Many are kids so not their choices. Others hot ridiculously hard times some from their own bad choices and some not . I've certainly made a bad choice here and there throughout my life , I don't believe that makes me or anyone else worthless . Lastly to many have mental health problems and that is a problem in this country. It makes no sense that so many can't get quality mental health help or they can't afford their medications yet we expect they should be able to come up with a plan to fix it all and to execute that plan . Ridiculous. When people say "not my problem" they're technically correct but they're also seriously lacking in empathy . I volunteer at the local soup kitchen and 80% or more are people over the age of 65 it breaks my heart to hear them talking about the financial choices and trade offs they have to make IMO our Country damn well should be embarrassed . Disgusting self centered egotistical country we've become.

Quoting Anonymous: Honestly though, why is it my problem to bail someone out from bad choices.

Quoting Anonymous: Unfortunately the US is far from alone when it comes to poor people that are homeless -> http://www.homelessworldcup.org/content/homelessness-statistics

Still I agree that the "not my problem.." folks are heartless self centered ass holes .
cinnamonkiti
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Yep! And that is WITH people dropping out of the list. People think it is so easy to get help when you need it. It is ONLY easy if you happen to know the right people. The agencies that offer the help still have to be funded. LOL.

It amazes me when people just assume that one can get help at a church, or a local agency, no problem. Churces depend on the generosity of their congregants in order to provide assistance to the needy. Non-profit agencies of any kind rely on people, not the government...And here in Texas, you can't rely on the government for jack, thanks to Mr. Perry.....

Quoting Anonymous: I was on the wait list in Texas and I was number 39,000. That would have taken years to get through.
Quoting cinnamonkiti:

LOL! Yeah, I don't see it often either. Both of my grandmothers were suffragettes, It was drilled into my head from early childhood to not waste my vote.

I have an Aunt that essentially gives her vote to her husband("Who do you think I should vote for dear?") It drives me nuts!

Quoting brettsmomma: Finally!!! Someone else who realizes how very important it is to vote for local and state officials.
Quoting cinnamonkiti:

Time is the most important thing that you can give. Also, your vote. Voting for programs that can help the downtrodden makes a big difference as well.  Thank you for doing what you do.

Quoting brettsmomma:

that sucks :/ but really what can the average middle class American actually do? I cant afford to pay anyone elses rent. I cant afford to give money everytime I see someone holding a sign..

All I can do is give my time and love. Which I do twice a week at a  soup kitchen.

Quoting cinnamonkiti:

Here in Texas, the wait list for those vouchers is astronomically long. Even when people get on the lists, what are they supposed to do in the meantime?(And the list for Section 8 is very seldom open to new applicants)

Quoting brettsmomma:

food stamps is a small part of PA. They have rent vouchers...   Just saw this and thought I would add my 2 cents..

Quoting JessMc33: Food stamps don't pay rent Sherlock.
Quoting Anonymous:

ummm there is PA, for the homeless, if they don't go down and apply , then they are chosing to be homeless.

I try to help anyone who is willing to help themselves. Im not about to give my hard earned money to someone whose only goal is to smoke a bag of weed and drink booze with the money they get.

cinnamonkiti
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Not in every state.

Quoting Anonymous:

they dont pay for suitable clothes but the rest they will pay for

Quoting mocha_mama509: I didn't know PA payed for first and last month's rent and for clothes suitable for job interviews.
Quoting Anonymous:

ummm there is PA, for the homeless, if they don't go down and apply , then they are chosing to be homeless.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 77 on May. 1, 2014 at 1:57 PM

And what exactly are YOU doing about it, OP?

Bitching about it accomplishes nothing.

Love the jab at Christians. Nice touch. So typical. Funny thing is...every time  someone is down on their luck, it's usually a church helping them out. I can't recall a single time I heard of an atheist doing a good deed...Well except in their alternate universe ( also known as cafemom.)

IRL, not so much.....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 73 on May. 1, 2014 at 1:58 PM
My mom was on the list about a year and she is disabled so she got bumped up to the 'top of the list'. She was still number 3,000 something. I went to a church that refused to help because I was pregnant and living with my boyfriend. Other churches offer around $50 which when your rent is $600 that doesn't help much. Help isn't easy to find and if you get tanf in Texas you only get $426 for 5 people. That doesn't even cover rent for an apartment big enough for 2 people much less 5.

Quoting cinnamonkiti:

Yep! And that is WITH people dropping out of the list. People think it is so easy to get help when you need it. It is ONLY easy if you happen to know the right people. The agencies that offer the help still have to be funded. LOL.

It amazes me when people just assume that one can get help at a church, or a local agency, no problem. Churces depend on the generosity of their congregants in order to provide assistance to the needy. Non-profit agencies of any kind rely on people, not the government...And here in Texas, you can't rely on the government for jack, thanks to Mr. Perry.....

Quoting Anonymous: I was on the wait list in Texas and I was number 39,000. That would have taken years to get through.

Quoting cinnamonkiti:

LOL! Yeah, I don't see it often either. Both of my grandmothers were suffragettes, It was drilled into my head from early childhood to not waste my vote.

I have an Aunt that essentially gives her vote to her husband("Who do you think I should vote for dear?") It drives me nuts!

Quoting brettsmomma: Finally!!! Someone else who realizes how very important it is to vote for local and state officials.

Quoting cinnamonkiti:

Time is the most important thing that you can give. Also, your vote. Voting for programs that can help the downtrodden makes a big difference as well.  Thank you for doing what you do.

Quoting brettsmomma:

that sucks :/ but really what can the average middle class American actually do? I cant afford to pay anyone elses rent. I cant afford to give money everytime I see someone holding a sign..

All I can do is give my time and love. Which I do twice a week at a  soup kitchen.

Quoting cinnamonkiti:

Here in Texas, the wait list for those vouchers is astronomically long. Even when people get on the lists, what are they supposed to do in the meantime?(And the list for Section 8 is very seldom open to new applicants)

Quoting brettsmomma:

food stamps is a small part of PA. They have rent vouchers...   Just saw this and thought I would add my 2 cents..

Quoting Anonymous:

I try to help anyone who is willing to help themselves. Im not about to give my hard earned money to someone whose only goal is to smoke a bag of weed and drink booze with the money they get.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 37 on May. 1, 2014 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this
There are no reasons not to succeed, only excuses.

Quoting Anonymous: Sometimes it's not possible. But you don't see that because you choose not to. To you it's either do it or don't do it and it's all a choice. Sometimes it's just not possible. Sad that you can't figure that out. There isn't always enough hours in the day to work and go to school even part time.

Quoting Anonymous: I didn't suggest working part time.

cinnamonkiti
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2014 at 2:04 PM

My father was director of Material at Lockheed when he retired. He worked for the company for 35 years.(Almost half his lifetime.) When he retired, he and my stepmother moved to Florida, and were doing QUITE well, until the bottom dropped out of the stock market a few years ago, and he lost EVERYTHING, including his 401k.

My father was an incredibly financial sound man. But...shit still happened. Quit being such an ignorant fool. A single snapshot of 5 minutes of a persons life is NOT enough to give you the right to judge ANYONE.

Quoting Anonymous: Unfortunately the US is far from alone when it comes to poor people that are homeless -> http://www.homelessworldcup.org/content/homelessness-statistics Still I agree that the "not my problem.." folks are heartless self centered ass holes .

Anonymous
by Anonymous 74 on May. 1, 2014 at 2:06 PM

where did I say that's how the whole world world?  I merely said it was that way here in L.A., and there are a lot of people in L.A. soo...

Quoting Anonymous:

wrong Sherlock, here in my area they do pay for that, but you go on with supposing everything that happens in your area is the way the whole world works.

Quoting Anonymous:

wrong, ''sherlock."  Here in Los Angeles there is no rental assistance.  I've been to the welfare building and it was filled with homeless people.  I even talked to one young man who'd been homeless since he aged out of foster care.  All he recieved was food stamps, medical, and bus tokens.  

Quoting Anonymous:

PA isnt just food stamps, Sherlock, its cash and medical too. lmfao

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 37 on May. 1, 2014 at 2:08 PM
They were stupid to have all of their money in unsecured accounts.

Quoting cinnamonkiti:

My father was director of Material at Lockheed when he retired. He worked for the company for 35 years.(Almost half his lifetime.) When he retired, he and my stepmother moved to Florida, and were doing QUITE well, until the bottom dropped out of the stock market a few years ago, and he lost EVERYTHING, including his 401k.

My father was an incredibly financial sound man. But...shit still happened. Quit being such an ignorant fool. A single snapshot of 5 minutes of a persons life is NOT enough to give you the right to judge ANYONE.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN