Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you explode at excessive whining?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:07 PM
  • 201 Replies
Ok, I need some help with my whiney 5 yr old daughter. She literally falls on the floor crying whenever she doesn't get her way & is constantly whining about everything. I feel like I'm constantly punishing her but by the 3rd time in one evening I usually explode and start yelling at her bc I can't handle it anymore. I don't want to explode but I can't help it, she drives me crazy. I also hate yelling at her but how else am I going to get her to take me seriously if punishing her isn't working? I don't want my relationship with my daughter to go downhill but I don't want her to be a whiny brat either.

Help!
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama-wife2013
by New Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:10 PM
My two year old will do this. I don't let her have anything when she is being whiny. If it gets to bad I make her go to get room and she knows not to come out until she is going to act like a big girl.
msjaxon
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:11 PM
8 moms liked this
I don't answer or respond to whining. You get picked up put in your room and ignored.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:13 PM
4 moms liked this
I think I should throw my whiny 7 year old DD in the same room with yours and let them whine to each other..

I know exactly how you feel, Momma.

DD whines and complains about EVERYTHING, even nonsensical things that have no bearing on her life whatsoever. It actually causes me to have panic attacks.

Your DD wouldn't happen to be an only child, would she?

I've heard it's common with only children, especially the spoiled ones. Which, I admit, she is.

God help us both.
KellBell0820
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:13 PM
My daughter was like this, she still can be sometimes. The second she starts I tell her I don't understand or respond to her whining, if she wants to talk to me then she needs to talk, not whine.
whatssleep
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I've never punished my two year old for tantrums. He doesn't get what he wants and if he wants to lay on the floor crying and whatever I just leave him there and tune him out. I think if I added punishment to his already frustration it would just add to the event.
graybealgirl
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this
My 17 year old DS still does it. I ignore him
momma-moo
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:31 PM
I do this too. Some days it works better than others. You just have to remain consistent!

Quoting msjaxon: I don't answer or respond to whining. You get picked up put in your room and ignored.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 1, 2014 at 2:21 AM
2 moms liked this

Did I write this??? I start counting to 5 and then discipline will be occurring.  I remind her that life isnt fair and we cannot and do not get what we want when we want it all of the time.  I remind her that bad girls dont get good things.  I tell her point blank that crying doesnt solve anything and can actually make things worse if they are for no reason.

liltampa71
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2014 at 2:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I sent my son to his room until he'd stop whining.  I can't stand it.

DensHag
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2014 at 2:25 AM
I HATE whining and tantrums with a passion. I refused to listen and either put them in their room or I left the room. Thank God they didn't do it too much. If they didn't get a response it stopped pretty quick.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)