Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Moms of premies -- what's the most annoying/insensitive thing people say about your baby?

Posted by on May. 2, 2014 at 11:07 AM
  • 217 Replies

Moms of premies -- what's the most annoying/insensitive thing people say about your baby?

by on May. 2, 2014 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2014 at 11:09 AM
3 moms liked this
Soneone told me that my dd looked "just like a real baby"
nsrush83
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 11:16 AM
2 moms liked this

With my first preemie (28 weeker), someone chewed me out asking why I didnt feed my son..  I was very upset..

With my second, I learned that people dont intend to be rude, they just dont understand because they have not been through it. The only thing that irritates me with my 2nd preemie (24 weeker) is when people ask why I dont bring  him out in public in the middle of flu/rsv season, but again-they just dont understand.

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2014 at 11:27 AM

I've never really anything mean, but dh's grandmother kept pushing to have my 30 weeker baptized in the hospital "just in case". I didn't want to do it because it felt like a bad omen. I didn't want to think about "just in case", there was no room left in my mind for extra worry!

OliviaW.
by on May. 2, 2014 at 11:42 AM
3 moms liked this
People getting mad because you don't want them to touch the baby's face or attempt to kiss the baby on the mouth.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 2, 2014 at 11:46 AM
2 moms liked this

It's what they did not what they said as much though I have a few of those that big me. First, don't say the hospital is the best place for my child. No it isn't. I am the best place for me child, whether in me or with me, but the hospital is not better than me for my child. Second, no she is not tiny. She is big!  I'm proud of how strong and big she is. Don't call her tiny. 

Also, dont pretend my preemie is a termie and swing her, refuse to get Tdap to protect her, or talk about your experience with your termies as though it is the same as my experience. 

Ray-of-Beezy
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2014 at 11:54 AM
3 moms liked this
Who the hell does this?! I always hear about people trying to kiss babies on the mouth and I have never witnessed or experience this. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I just find it very weird, lol.

Quoting OliviaW.: People getting mad because you don't want them to touch the baby's face or attempt to kiss the baby on the mouth.
OliviaW.
by on May. 2, 2014 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

My mil and dh's side of the family always wants to kiss a baby on the mouth. I don't get it.

I had one of dh's aunts take my dd out of my hands (she was only 4 lbs and a few ozs at birth) and then had the nerve to say that she'd been fighting a summer cold. I took dd back right quick and in a hurry. 

Quoting Ray-of-Beezy: Who the hell does this?! I always hear about people trying to kiss babies on the mouth and I have never witnessed or experience this. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I just find it very weird, lol.
Quoting OliviaW.: People getting mad because you don't want them to touch the baby's face or attempt to kiss the baby on the mouth.

Ray-of-Beezy
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2014 at 12:09 PM
3 moms liked this
What the...? There isn't much that pisses me off, but when people fail to mention that they're sick until they're around my child it sends me through the roof. I didn't have a preemie, however it's still extremely rude, even more so with a premature child.

Our close friends just had a little girl and I had to wait until DS was in the clear before we visited, thankfully he just has allergies. I will never understand how some people can't even think past their own noses; a visit can wait.

Quoting OliviaW.:

My mil and dh's side of the family always wants to kiss a baby on the mouth. I don't get it.

I had one of dh's aunts take my dd out of my hands (she was only 4 lbs and a few ozs at birth) and then had the nerve to say that she'd been fighting a summer cold. I took dd back right quick and in a hurry. 

Quoting Ray-of-Beezy: Who the hell does this?! I always hear about people trying to kiss babies on the mouth and I have never witnessed or experience this. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I just find it very weird, lol.

mommyfesha
by monster on May. 2, 2014 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I got really sick of hearing how tiny she was. I know she's tiny!
OliviaW.
by on May. 2, 2014 at 12:14 PM

DD was just a bit over 4 pounds when she was born. And she's still really small at almost 5 years old. Dh's family is like that. We have given up going to his grandparents because everyone that is sick goes there for some reason. Most of DH's family thinks I'm werid about touching and germs but the only time either of my kids get sick is when we visit his family. 

Quoting Ray-of-Beezy: What the...? There isn't much that pisses me off, but when people fail to mention that they're sick until they're around my child it sends me through the roof. I didn't have a preemie, however it's still extremely rude, even more so with a premature child. Our close friends just had a little girl and I had to wait until DS was in the clear before we visited, thankfully he just has allergies. I will never understand how some people can't even think past their own noses; a visit can wait.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)