Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Did you have amniocentesis?

Posted by on May. 2, 2014 at 11:56 AM
  • 182 Replies

Did you have amniocentesis? The Stir is doing a story on prenatal testing and we want to feature a real woman's story about her experience with amnio. If you did, what lead to your decision to have it? What was the experience like? What emotions did you feel before/during after? Responses will be anonymous.  

by on May. 2, 2014 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KYLIEAARONMOMMY
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2014 at 11:59 AM
I had twins at 35. My doctor wanted me to have one, but I decided against it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 2, 2014 at 12:00 PM
Yea but I don't remember anything about it. I was in ICU. No help
kdjdod081013
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2014 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Of course I didn't. I would never allow such a thing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 2, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Yes, but it wasn't for genetic testing or anything like that. I was being induced at 36 weeks for pre-eclampsia and they were checking if her lungs were developed enough to not need steroids. It was actually a good thing because she had passed meconium and the doctors were able to prepare for that.

Xat
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2014 at 12:05 PM
I had one with my youngest. We were having a lot of issues and the doctors thought he was going to have down syndrome so we did the test so that we could be prepared at delivery.
It was very scary since there is a risk of miscarriage and I was already being told that there was a good chance I would lose my baby.
Luckily he was born without down syndrome and is in pretty good health.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fiiasco
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 12:07 PM

I had an amniocentesis at 20 weeks. From the beginning of my pregnancy I swore I would never, ever get one but at 20 weeks I was 6cm with bulging membranes & if I wanted to go through with the surgery to save our daughter I had no choice but to get it done. The doctor knew I was scared so when he inserted the needle he stopped to show me on the ultrasound where the baby was & where the placenta was, he also removed some extra fluid to ease up the weight on my cervix... truthfully, I do not feel it was a HUGE ordeal. I can't say I would be a willing participant next time around since it wouldn't affect my decision in the care of our child, but I felt relived afterwards & we were able to move forward with a successful surgery from there.

romalove
by SakePrincess on May. 2, 2014 at 12:09 PM
2 moms liked this

I refused to have one.  I was 22 and pregnant with my son, and the AFP test came back low, with possibility of Down's syndrome, and they wanted to do an amnio.  Because I knew that I wouldn't abort and there is nothing they could do prenatally for Down's if the baby had it, and because I also knew that there was a possibility the amnio itself could cause a miscarriage, I refused the test.

My son was born without Down's or anything else wrong with him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 2, 2014 at 12:09 PM

I did. But if I explain why everyone will know who I am.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 2, 2014 at 12:23 PM

I had one back in 1988. My son was really small and I was always measuring smaller than what I should have been. before I had him the dr wanted me to get an amino incase I went into labor before the scheduled c section.

it hurt like hell, but all was good. My sons lungs were good. I had no problems afterwards.

pce68
by Patti on May. 2, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Fortunately they was no need for me to have one. I don't know if I would have agreed to have one, because that giant needle scared me to death.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)