Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Can someone explain to me the argument of increasing minimum wage?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 478 Replies
21 moms liked this

I understand people wanting minimum wage increased since it hasn't kept up over the years with inflation. But wouldn't that be the same for all jobs?  Why should someone who chooses to work at McDonald's make the same as someone who chooses to invest in college to get a career.  So if we increase minimum wage by $3/hr or so then shouldn't all workers in all fields also have their wage increased by the same amount?  What is the incentive of going to college if entry level college required positions pay the same as minimum wage?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 2, 2014 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadowcat76
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2014 at 1:33 PM
44 moms liked this

You said it best. Wage earnings haven't kept up with inflation. And while all wages SHOULD go up, that probably wont be the case. Also FYI there are college educated people working minimum wage jobs because they have problems finding work in their field, I'm sure they don't CHOOSE it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 2, 2014 at 1:56 PM
10 moms liked this

Are you seriously equating a salary that you make with a college degree to be synonymous with an increased minimum wage?

We pay for it one way or another.  We pay a living wage or pay to support those in poverty.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 2, 2014 at 2:47 PM
10 moms liked this

Yes because cities like Seattle are planning to raise minumum wage to $15/hr.  Many people with college degrees have salaries very close to that.  So that is my question. If you have a job making $15/hr that you had to go to college to get, is it fair if minimum wage is then increased to $15/hr and your salary stays the same?

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you seriously equating a salary that you make with a college degree to be synonymous with an increased minimum wage?

We pay for it one way or another.  We pay a living wage or pay to support those in poverty.

chalisa0
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2014 at 2:51 PM
14 moms liked this

Not that I agree with it, but the argument is that people who make minimum wage as it currently stands cannot make enough to live on-not even if they work every hour of every day.  And the minimum wage battle in Seattle is different, because it is outrageously expensive to live there.  Very few professional jobs that require a degree in Seattle only make $15/hr.  You have to compare jobs and pay to location-not to another location.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 2, 2014 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Most of the college graduates that I know make more than $15/hour.  If they are not making $15/hour with a college degree then their wage should be increased too.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes because cities like Seattle are planning to raise minumum wage to $15/hr.  Many people with college degrees have salaries very close to that.  So that is my question. If you have a job making $15/hr that you had to go to college to get, is it fair if minimum wage is then increased to $15/hr and your salary stays the same?

Quoting Anonymous:

GaleJ
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2014 at 2:57 PM
33 moms liked this
FAIR? What isn't fair is people doing necessary work, many working full time, who can't make ends meet and so require public assistance. When that happens essentially the taxpayers, that's you and I, are subsidizing the companies that employ so many at minimum wage like Walmart and McDonald's.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

luckysevenwow
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2014 at 3:00 PM
33 moms liked this
My husband doesn't have a high school diploma and makes $25 an hour....should his wage drop because of that?

That logic is backwards. A college degree doesn't guarantee you a certain pay, it provides you the opulent unity to work in your desired field and hopefully make decent money.

People should make enough money to live, not get rich, but live.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 2, 2014 at 3:02 PM
4 moms liked this

$15 an hour is $30K a year....or $600 a week before taxes.  That isn't the normal wage for a college graduate in most fields.

Angelicembrace
by The Dorkfish on May. 2, 2014 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly this!

Quoting GaleJ: FAIR? What isn't fair is people doing necessary work, many working full time, who can't make ends meet and so require public assistance. When that happens essentially the taxpayers, that's you and I, are subsidizing the company's that employ so many at minimum wage like Walmart and McDonald's.
Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

veggiemom474
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2014 at 3:08 PM
11 moms liked this

How can anyone have an iincentive to go to college anymore?? Unless you're rich and can pay for it in cash.

There's not many jobs, tuition is thru the roof, loans are just future debt, and financial aide has dwindled to barely anything.

Americans need those jobs right now.

And no, the increase is so people can feed themselves and their family without PA, not everyone should get a raise.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN