Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

s/o grades in school

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 54 Replies

at what point would you expect a teacher to noftify you, the parent about a grade in a class?

What are your expectations as far as grades? Do you have a "low limit"

We don't allow anything below an 85% on a paper and definatly not as a final grade! anything below that results in consequences

If you punish for bad grades what are your punishments?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 2, 2014 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LiesLiesLies
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2014 at 4:19 PM
I'm with you....if my child was even a little behind I would expect to be notified.
3JuJu3
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2014 at 4:21 PM

It depends on the age.  In high school, I think teachers would expect a little more independence than in the students' younger, formative years.  It also depends on the student.  A good teacher would notice if an honor roll student is getting a D and contact the parents, vs. a student who typically gets Cs and Ds.  I would like to know anything below a C, but I also plan on keeping a close watch on my kids' grades as they get older. 

catcameback
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2014 at 4:22 PM

I speak to my son's teacher on the telephone everyday, so it would never really come up.

But if he was falling behind 90% I would want to know.

suzanneyea

In French he needs to get at least an 80. In math over 95 and over 90 in science. I don't care too much about the other classes, but he always does well in them too.

LAXmom21
1 mom liked this
Depends on the class and the workload.
DS17 has all Bs except math, he has a C. However, he has a tutor, gets extra help from the teacher and does all his homework, he's just not getting it. If he wasn't trying or getting extra help he'd have consequences.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 2, 2014 at 4:24 PM

What grade?

Quoting catcameback:

I speak to my son's teacher on the telephone everyday, so it would never really come up.

But if he was falling behind 90% I would want to know.

cinnamonkiti
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2014 at 4:25 PM

I am the Vice President of the PTA of my stepdaughter's school, and I am also on the Campus Advisory Council with her teacher this year, so I am kept pretty well abreast of everything that goes on with her. It works out pretty well.

(Oh, and before anyone asks, yes, I am her stepmother. Her mother is not allowed on campus, due to wreaking havoc there at the beginning of the school year. 

TygrrEyz
by Marie on May. 2, 2014 at 4:26 PM
My son is not in school yet but he will have the same expectations from me that I had from my mom and grandparents. I was expected to make A's and B's. If I made a C or lower my mom would sit down and work with me and help me with any extra credit projects the teacher was offering if any.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 2, 2014 at 4:26 PM

its my SD that im talking about also!

Quoting cinnamonkiti:

I am the Vice President of the PTA of my stepdaughter's school, and I am also on the Campus Advisory Council with her teacher this year, so I am kept pretty well abreast of everything that goes on with her. It works out pretty well.

(Oh, and before anyone asks, yes, I am her stepmother. Her mother is not allowed on campus, due to wreaking havoc there at the beginning of the school year. 

MustBNapTime
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Our school has a program u can log into as a parent & you can control what you get notified about (I get notified about any grade under 85)... Its REALLY NICE!

But without that, I really dont think its a teachers job to notify parents over every grade- even if failing, unless it becomes a problem.... Maybe failed test need to be brought home for parents to sign or something. But I would not want a personal email/call- unless it was something reaccuring or there was more to the story that just 1 failed test (Child was goofing off during learning, their school behavior is a reason they are failing test- from lack of paying attention, ect.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)