Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

school lunches and food allergies

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies
My dd is 6 in kindergarten and has food allergies. I feed her before school and I send her lunch. Dd and ds both told me today dd was given a chocolate muffin with chocolate chips I freaked out a little not in front of the kids. I sent a very long detailed email to her teacher about my concerns. I refuse to go through the nurse like the front office says I should just cuz she's mean and hateful about kids and food allergies I have had many dealing with her she hates me but I don't care my dd will be safe in school and won't be given goods she's allergic too.

Her teacher also has food allergies so she's super helpful and always goes the extra step to make sure dd is safe and has safe food. Even during parties she makes sure dd has something safe to eat I couldn't have asked for a better teacher for her this year.

Her teacher replied back the school offers gluten free, dairy, wheat etc... free foods to kids with allergies. But a note from the childs dr is required and the teacher has to order a "specials" for the child to get it. I wasn't aware of this but her teacher has been ordering her a "specials" for breakfast everyday. So she's been eating breakfast twice. The teacher said she will quit ordering if I would like she also included ingredients to the chocolate muffins in the email. She can have everything I read over the ingredients.

Would you allow your child to keep eating the "specials" or tell the teacher to stop. And I don't pay for breakfast since every child gets free breakfast. Also would you allow your child to eat a "specials" lunch as well it would be hot instead of a cold lunch.

This post is not about your opinions or if you think kids with food allergies should or shouldn't be in public school.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 2, 2014 at 6:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 2, 2014 at 6:30 PM
If my kids wants to eat the breakfast I would let her same with lunch.
momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2014 at 6:31 PM
Here, if your child has allergies and you don't go through the proper avenues and have an official health plan, the school can't be held accountable if anything bad happens. With the plan in place, we are legally bound to follow it. Just saying.
LiesLiesLies
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2014 at 6:31 PM
I've been feeding my DD breakfast all year and making her a lunch...she just told me the other day she gets breakfast at school too!!!

Little piggy!!
km1970
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2014 at 6:33 PM

I would ask that all "specials" stop being ordered. While it was nice she was doing this, human error happens. If my child has severe allergies, I wouldn't want anyone to be responsible for an error. I would continue to send a home lunch and teach my child about her allergies so he/she may be aware of what he/she can and can't eat.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 2, 2014 at 6:35 PM
Oh she has a food plan the school nurse was just refusing to follow it which is why I had it out with her so many times. I hand delivered the plan 3 times and her dr taxes it 2 times. Her teacher was the one that took steps to protect dd she wears an allergy necklace at school in the lunch room.

Quoting momtolittleg: Here, if your child has allergies and you don't go through the proper avenues and have an official health plan, the school can't be held accountable if anything bad happens. With the plan in place, we are legally bound to follow it. Just saying.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 2, 2014 at 6:35 PM
Yes I would. Ds also has food allergies so the fact that the teacher went out of her way to do that is awesome, IMO. Except in my ds case, they actually called to let me know they had treats that were safe to eat, before actually giving it to him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 2, 2014 at 6:36 PM
That was my thought too little piggy she mostly don't finish her lunch Im sure I know why now.

Quoting LiesLiesLies: I've been feeding my DD breakfast all year and making her a lunch...she just told me the other day she gets breakfast at school too!!!

Little piggy!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 2, 2014 at 6:37 PM
If you send a lunch, why are they feeding her? Tell them to stop
weeping_angel
by Don't Blink on May. 2, 2014 at 6:38 PM
Same.

Quoting Anonymous: If my kids wants to eat the breakfast I would let her same with lunch.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 2, 2014 at 6:40 PM
I knew it was an opition at all schools its a school district thing its on there website. we have 9 elem schools in town not counting private. I just didn't know they were ordering a specials for her.

Quoting Anonymous: Yes I would. Ds also has food allergies so the fact that the teacher went out of her way to do that is awesome, IMO. Except in my ds case, they actually called to let me know they had treats that were safe to eat, before actually giving it to him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)