Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Work drama! What would you do?

Posted by on May. 3, 2014 at 5:27 PM
  • 23 Replies

I am the manager of a non profit thrift store. 100% of everything the thrift store brings in, goes to the humane society. Which is directly under the thrift shop. I volunteer full time. My kids come with me (the owner of the shelter & thrift shop knew this when they 'hired' me).

Anyhow, there is a room full of toys and kids stuff behind the register. It was made to be the office. This is where my kids hang out. We close the door so customers dont go in there.

In the store, away from the register area there is another room. Its used for books, and no one ever buys stuff from in there. I decided to move the books to a huge shelf thing. It will easily fit the books we need to put there. I plan on putting the childrens section in the old book room, and using the office area as my office, and the room for my kids to hang out while customers are around. I thought it was genius.

WELL. There is an older lady (50s) who has been volunteering for two years there. She was the only one before I came along and the place was failing miserably. She literally never brought money down to the owner for deposits at night. Never made a damn dime. She came in when she felt like it and had no set hours. She would be there like 2 days a week, from 10am to 11am. She was supposed to come this morning and open the store at 10 and be there till 3. She never showed up and I came in (on my day off).

She shows up a few hours later, says she went shopping with her daughter in law instead. She starts going off on me about how my idea is terrible and she wont let me do it, how shes talking to the owner. I explained that the owner gave me permission to "Do what ever the hell you want, because what youre doing is working so far and I trust you". Owner comes up stairs randomly and the lady starts telling her how my idea is awful and she doesnt want me to do it. The owner says if it makes it easier for me to be there full time, and the kids happier then I can do it, because im the only one there full time, and the kids need their own place to hang out.

The otehr lady quits on the spot and flips out on us both. She left with her keys too. :/

The open door to the right is where you have to go to get to the current "childrens section" of the store. The register is right next to it.

This is the 'book room' that I want to clear out and make into the childrens section. Its in another part of the store and totally easy to get to. Not closed off like the other one.

This is the current 'childrens section'. The toddler bed is something I brought in so my 2yo can nap when she wants to. This is the room I plan on using as my office/my kids hang out spot. Its the one you have to go behind the register to get to.

by on May. 3, 2014 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on May. 3, 2014 at 5:30 PM

There is NO drama....the woman quit

Shy_Dia
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2014 at 5:32 PM
Holy shit, that's a lot of books!

I'd change it to how you want. If the kids listen, obey and doesn't cause a problem, it should be fine
Click_Queen
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2014 at 5:34 PM

It was super dramatic how she came in there though. She came in with her daughter in law and they started both arguing with me about how my idea didnt make sense and was awful. I was very polite and listened to all their reasons. The owner came up and I said "Well lets talk to her and let her have final say". The owner said she could see both sides but chose mine since im there full time and she comes in like once or twice a week (when she feels like it!). The woman flipped out on us both and they stormed out.

Quoting Sassy762:

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on May. 3, 2014 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Its better she is gone then. At least you are trying to make the place look better and organized.

Quoting Click_Queen:

It was super dramatic how she came in there though. She came in with her daughter in law and they started both arguing with me about how my idea didnt make sense and was awful. I was very polite and listened to all their reasons. The owner came up and I said "Well lets talk to her and let her have final say". The owner said she could see both sides but chose mine since im there full time and she comes in like once or twice a week (when she feels like it!). The woman flipped out on us both and they stormed out.

Quoting Sassy762:

Supervane
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2014 at 5:39 PM
Just let her quit

Quoting Click_Queen:

Quoting Sassy762:

CMcLaws
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2014 at 5:42 PM
It sounds like the problem worked itself out. The owner trusts you, run with it.
Click_Queen
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2014 at 5:44 PM

She was mad that I wanted the book room to be the retail room for childrens items. She didnt seem to care that I was bringing my kids with me much.

Quoting Shy_Dia: Holy shit, that's a lot of books! I'd change it to how you want. If the kids listen, obey and doesn't cause a problem, it should be fine

MelanieJK
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2014 at 5:45 PM

What's the issue?      The owner made the decision she thought was best.     is the owner surprised or upset that the lady quit?    Will it be difficult to get someone to replace her?

TygrrEyz
by Marie on May. 3, 2014 at 5:47 PM
Obviously the owner trusts you because what you have been doing is bringing in customers. Do what you want and to hell with her!
Click_Queen
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Yeah. It was awful when I started. Still tons of work to do. Customers should never be behind the register area anyway though. :/

Quoting Sassy762:

Its better she is gone then. At least you are trying to make the place look better and organized.

Quoting Click_Queen:

Quoting Sassy762:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)