Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A woman I know doesn't help support her parents at all cause of this. WDYT?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 78 Replies

I'm acquaintances with her but my sister is closer friends. Today she told me this about her.

She grew up with very conservative, religious parents who believe a woman's place is in the home. She had 3 brothers and she basically had to do all the housework with her mom, was punished if she let her homework eat into her chores and was discouraged from taking challenging classes in high school. Despite all of it, she graduated near the top of her class and was admitted to the colleges she applied to behind their backs. They basically told her even though they had the money and were planning on paying for her brothers to go to school, they wouldn't pay for her since they didn't believe she needed higher education or that it was "proper" for her to move out before marriage. Basically, long story short, they pretty much disowned her when she got loans, moved out and did it anyway.

They paid for her brothers to go to school, but they either flunked out or weren't very successful as adults. She, in contrast, is an engineer and a senior director in her company. Her parents lost their money and were battling severe health issues, and after not speaking to her for years (she gave them a second chance and they made rude comments about her being a working mother), called her to ask for money. 

Her response? She laughed, said "why don't you ask your sons?" and hung up. As far as she knows, they live in a basement apartment now and are both ill but can't afford help. 

WDYT?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 3, 2014 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LiesLiesLies
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2014 at 7:32 PM
5 moms liked this
Good for her.
The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2014 at 7:33 PM

I don't think children are obligated to help their parents.

mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on May. 3, 2014 at 7:33 PM
I think "good for her"
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 3, 2014 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this
My mom can rot in a ditch when she's old for all I care. Lol
Dannygirl25
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 7:34 PM
Good
my123sons
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2014 at 7:34 PM
10 moms liked this
I think that I don't blame her. They can't have it both ways. They can't hold her back and do everything they can to keep her from being successful, but then reap the rewards of her success when it benefits them.
Texor
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2014 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Well I would not do anything if I were you.

BUT, I would do EXACTLY what she did. 

SamiJ18
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2014 at 7:35 PM
Fuck them, good for her!
Zombie_Mombie
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 7:35 PM
I think she did a good job. You don't choose to be born. Your parents choose to have you. She didn't choose to live like them and they chose to make her feel bad. So now she can choose to tell them to fuck off.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 3, 2014 at 7:35 PM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't blame her.  You reap what you sow, and obviously she wasn't worthy of her parents support.  So why should she support them?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)