Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

is there a difference between autistic...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 61 Replies

and mentally retarded? I may sound really uneducated, but thats why I am asking, because I honestly have no idea. I was thinking about this the other day. What does "retarded" define? autistic? or what? or is being mentally retarded a handicap of its own? I'm confused. I'm sorry if this is offensive, but I simply want to understand better. Some one on this site mentioned a man calling a family members autistic child "retarded" so it got me thinking. again, sorry if I sound offensive in any way, it is not my intention at all.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 3, 2014 at 9:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bethsunshine
by on May. 3, 2014 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this
This isn't going to end well!
amandajoy21
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 9:21 PM
Many autistic kids are delayed in fine motor skills and social skills. When people refer to someone as "retarded" they only referring to their mental ability. Some autistic kids have learning delays but not all and true learning delays commonly referred to as "retarded" are caused by many different conditions.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 3, 2014 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm just trying to learn. I never use the r word. and I'm not here to insult any one, but rather educate myself.

Quoting Bethsunshine: This isn't going to end well!

nopenope666
by on May. 3, 2014 at 9:22 PM
2 moms liked this
Cant even ask a honest fucking question around here.

Quoting Anonymous:

there is research you could have done, this is a troll post to get everyone arguing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 3, 2014 at 9:23 PM
There is a difference..quite a difference. A person can be autistic and of average iq. They can be autistic and have a below average iq. They can be autistic and have a higher than average iq. And, so can neurotypical people. Autism is not mentally challenged.
Heisenberg
by on May. 3, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Back in the days when we used that term freely, it was typically meant for developmentally delayed and most of the time for downs.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 3, 2014 at 9:24 PM
The word is very frowned upon now, but it's not really a "bad word" unless used offensively. What I mean is, it would be technically correct to say many Autistic children have social, physical or mental skills that are retarded (meaning "not as advanced as expected for their age".)
That being said, some people with some forms of Autism have much higher than normal IQs.
Everyone is different, Autism or not.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 3, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Thank you for explaining. 

Quoting amandajoy21: Many autistic kids are delayed in fine motor skills and social skills. When people refer to someone as "retarded" they only referring to their mental ability. Some autistic kids have learning delays but not all and true learning delays commonly referred to as "retarded" are autism. Many other disabilities cause entail delays too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 3, 2014 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Mystic.Falls
by on May. 3, 2014 at 9:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous: There is a difference..quite a difference. A person can be autistic and of average iq. They can be autistic and have a below average iq. They can be autistic and have a higher than average iq. And, so can neurotypical people. Autism is not mentally challenged.

true

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN