Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about social security survivor benefits for minors

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
I know this is totally none of our business but I promised a friend I would ask. A friend of mine runs a cleaning service. The employees pretty much try to get every job they can. One of the employees lost her husband a few months ago leaving behind two small children.He had been out of work for two years. She has been having a really hard time dealing with it.
One of the employees told my friend that the employee who lost her husband is now getting $800 a month for each child.
My friend is not sure if this is true-it seems like a lot of money or if the employee is just saying that to get more work since the other employee would not need the money much.
We are in NY and am wondering if anyone knows what someone would get for a survivors benefit?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 4, 2014 at 12:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tooth_Inspector
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2014 at 12:39 AM
It really varies. I have a friend who's ex-husband had a severe brain injury so she gets about 4 or 500 a month for him. My ex husband committed suicide and our two girls receive a benefit too. 800 is very possible.
ciaras_mom_05
by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Its possible.
Ginger0104
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 1:16 AM
1 mom liked this

It varies based on how much he made when he was working, up til 5 years before his death. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 4, 2014 at 1:32 AM
1 mom liked this
So when my ex passes, ds would get nothing? He barely ever held a legit job.

I wish he would get and stay clean. Breaks my heart

Quoting Ginger0104:

It varies based on how much he made when he was working, up til 5 years before his death. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 4, 2014 at 2:35 AM
I am so sorry about your ex

Quoting Tooth_Inspector: It really varies. I have a friend who's ex-husband had a severe brain injury so she gets about 4 or 500 a month for him. My ex husband committed suicide and our two girls receive a benefit too. 800 is very possible.
LIttleOldLady28
by on May. 4, 2014 at 2:38 AM
It varies but yea it's possible. My son gets survivors benefits since my dh passed away, and although I won't say how much, it's close to that
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on May. 4, 2014 at 2:38 AM
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 4, 2014 at 2:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank u!!

Quoting Sassy762:

Check out this link

http://www.ssa.gov/survivorplan/ifyou.htm

Bluerose1482
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 2:41 AM

It varies.  My friend's husband died and she got close to $3,000 per month.  (She got a check and both children did). 

Qzx
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 2:44 AM
It's possible.
I'm pretty sure it goes by what his income was and they get a certain %.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)