Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Opinion needed: Am I wrong?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies

So last weekend, I discovered my son was really allergic to fire ants...the hard way.

Here's what happened. My parents drop of my 7yr old son on Sundays after they take him to church. I live on the third floor of an apartment building, so when they drop him off they watch him get out the car and walk to the stairs and I'm at the top of the stairs watching him as he climbs up and I bring him in. Last Sunday as he is walking towards the stairs I yelled at him as I see him step on an anthill to jump out and hurry up so I can wipe him off and get him in the shower. As soon as I yell, both my parents and my cousin jump out of the car and begin to basically strip him and wipe everything off. He comes upstairs and I immediately put him in the shower to make sure that all ants are gone. As he's taking his shower I get out the hydrocortisone cream and the benadryl (last time his ankles swelled up a little bit when he was at camp and got bit) so I could avoid the sore ankles. As he is taking his shower, I'm watching him and see his skin starting to get a little red....I thought well maybe the water is a little hot so I turn down the water. He gets out and I give him the benadryl and put the cream on the bites to keep him from itching. He seemed fine and asked if he could play on his tablet and I told him sure and had him sit by me in the living room while I'm folding laundry. From the corner of my eye I see him start to itch all over his body (I thought it was just one of those weird things where when you got a bug on you and start to feel it ALL over) and I tell him to stop. Then I see him start swelling and there are some hives and then he tells me "Mommy, my throat hurts" and his breathing is coming a little harder. Otherwise he was playing on his tablet just fine. As soon as I seem him start swelling a little I'm on the phone with my brother (he's a doctor at an ER) and I'm describing the symptoms. He tells me I shouldnt be overly worried, but to go ahead and take him to the ER and sit in the parking lot and run in if he starts having a hard time breathing. At this point ds seems ok, but I notice he's not breathing through his nose anymore. I hang up on my brother and carry him to the car and start driving while crying at the same time. Thankfully the closest hospital is about 5 minutes away. My mom calls me while I'm on my way about something else and she hears me crying and asks why and I let her know. They meet me in the hospital parking lot and we spend a nice two hours staring at my son until he seemed to be back to normal except the normal bite marks on his legs. I stayed up through the night and got about 3 hours of sleep just watching him and checking him to make sure he was breathing and hadnt swelled up again.

Here's the part I have a question about. The whole time we're in front of the ER my mom is sitting there ranting at me over and over and over again on how I should have rushed downstairs and gotten the ants off of him (she must've mentioned it at least 6-7 times before I brought him home). Then proceeds to tell me again when she calls me after I put him to bed. THEN in the morning after I drop him off at school I go over there right before work to have breakfast with her. While I was there she starts saying it again and how horrible it was that i hadnt jumped downstairs. Trust me by now I was feeling like a class A shitty mom anyways. So she says it about three more times before I tell her "Mom, just stop, please just stop". She responded with "what are you telling me to shut up?" At this point frustrated, tired and feeling like shit I tell her, "Yes, yes I am....I feel bad enough as it is without you rubbing it in my face again" and thinking about it all I start crying. She turns on her heel at once and she hasnt spoken to me since.

Was I wrong? Should I have just kept taking it? Should I apologize? She's not going to talk to me again without me apologizing I already know.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 4, 2014 at 12:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 4, 2014 at 12:42 AM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 4, 2014 at 12:44 AM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 4, 2014 at 12:45 AM
Lil too much drama for my liking
Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 12:45 AM
No. She was being a bitch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
csxt99
by Jennifer on May. 4, 2014 at 12:46 AM

She needed to just shut the hell up.

TurtleMomma82
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 12:46 AM

No you weren't wrong.  She wasn't helping and making it worse.  I hope your kiddo is better soon!

mattiehatter
by Mary on May. 4, 2014 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this
There's a limit to how much a person can take and rubbing your face over and over again was completely unnecessary.
SammysMomma
by on May. 4, 2014 at 12:48 AM

No you shouldn't of. Your already felt like a bad mom even though you did what you thought was best at the time. We all do stuff we regret later. 

jessecutez2
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2014 at 12:49 AM
I wouldnt. Me and my mom often have "tiffs" like that though. If you say sorry to her... make sure you tell her (again) why you were upset, and it doesn't help to rub it in
uhhnogirl
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2014 at 12:50 AM
She needed to stop!! You had every right to tell her to shut her mouth!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)