Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is a "true Christian"?

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:25 AM
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this

Earlier today I saw a post about a woman who is Christian and supports gay marriage and is pro choice. Dozens of other women said that because of this she wasn't a "true Christian." I am a Christian. I am also a supporter of gay marriage and in fact do not even believe that homosexuality is a sin. I am a liberal. I belong to a United Church of Christ church that shares my views. It is full of Christians, like me, who absolutely love Jesus Christ. I always thought that a true Christian was someone who believed in and worshipped Jesus. So please tell me, what is a "true Christian"? 

Just a few points because I already know some of the answers I'm going to get....

1) A true Christian not only believes in Christ but lives in his word. You have to show the fruit of the spirit. If you live against His word than you are not truly saved. The problem with this argument is that noone is perfect. If you take the Bible completely literally you would stone your children to death when they disrespected you. You would be silent and cover your hair in church. You would not eat any pork. You would abandon all your possessions and wealth in order to follow Christ. When you accept Jesus into your heart you don't Level Up like in a video game, where magic white light surrounds you and once it passes you are now a Super Christian with the power to NEVER SIN AGAIN. No, you are still you. You are going to fail. You are not going to be able to repent for everything you do.

2) Didn't Jesus get mad at the Pharosises for focusing too much on rules and laws? Wasn't his greatest commandment to love God and love each other? Even if you think someone is "living in sin" how can you say they are not a Christian? We all live in sin. If you continue to lie or cheat or have lustful thoughts you are sinning. And most importantly, if you are judging someone and condeming them to hell then YOU are sinning. Jesus did not treat people that way. He let Mary wash his feet. He was cool with the low lifes of his time. He said that he had come as a doctor for the sick. In other words, if you think homosexuality is wrong, then you should WANT church to be overflowing with gay people! And the way to do that is not by bashing them and the people who accept them. 

Anyways, back to my question. Someone please answer me! What is a "true Christian"?

by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HipsterElephant
by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:29 AM

Bumpity

Tooth_Inspector
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2014 at 1:31 AM
2 moms liked this
I couldn't tell you what being a true Christian means, I just know what I believe and how I try to live my life.

Bump!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 4, 2014 at 1:32 AM

Quoting Tooth_Inspector: I couldn't tell you what being a true Christian means, I just know what I believe and how I try to live my life.

Bump!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 4, 2014 at 1:33 AM
Annoying
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 4, 2014 at 1:33 AM

Many people (mostly Christians) seem to think they know what it is to act like a 'true Christian', and that definition isn't always the same.

HipsterElephant
by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:33 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

nobody can define who you are but you, so why worry about it?

I wouldn't call it worry so much as being bored at 1 AM and not being tired enough to go to bed yet. lol. Oh, and genuine curiosity.

HipsterElephant
by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:34 AM

Quoting Anonymous: Annoying

Why?

JackieGirl007
by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:34 AM
1 mom liked this

BRAVO! YOU are a true Christian. A nonjudgemental person:)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 4, 2014 at 1:37 AM
Sorry im lashing out cause im ticked off at my grandfather he calls himself a true Christian but is judgemental, rude, and unaccepting, he constant belittles me for not sharing his veiws on religion and even told me my son was gonna go to hell because I didnt baptize him...I was raised in the faith but choose to reject it

Quoting HipsterElephant:

Why?

HipsterElephant
by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:39 AM

I think that was not very Christ like of him.

Quoting Anonymous: Sorry im lashing out cause im ticked off at my grandfather he calls himself a true Christian but is judgemental, rude, and unaccepting, he constant belittles me for not sharing his veiws on religion and even told me my son was gonna go to hell because I didnt baptize him...I was raised in the faith but choose to reject it
Quoting HipsterElephant:

Why?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)