Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When did you let your child play outside unsupervised?Advice please!

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 8:22 AM
  • 56 Replies
1 mom liked this

To start, I live in an apartment with a large parking lot in back of the building and a decent size grass/land area--then a busy street. On each side of the parking lot is decent streets--no problems, and one side a is a dead end street.

My son is 6 years old. He's in Kindergarten. There's about 6 kids (excluding my two) that play outside a lot. They are really good kids--I think the oldest is 10, and the youngest is 6. They play near the apartment building, and they just make up fun little games to play outside.

My son can be a bit oblivious sometimes (got to love those genetics from me! haha) but otherwise he's really been more "mature." Hmm. Trying to put it right lol. He's really been able to play, and to do so smart. He knows what's acceptable and what's not. Not going far, ect. He's been asking to just go outside and play with the kids(by himself). I haven't let him yet...as I'm nervous. Is 6 too young? I feel like he's ready (I'm not lol), but still have some reservations. I can look outside and check on him, though.

So..opinions? What age do you think is oaky to let them play outside by themselves or rather with the other kids? I think I'll let him play outside by himself as long as the other kids are outside too.

by on May. 4, 2014 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
catmommy22759
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2014 at 8:27 AM
2 moms liked this

I think it would be fine for him to go play outside.  If you need support for this Lenore's free range parenting blog is  a good place to go.  Also there are a lot of health and social benefits to playing outside, much more than with formalized activities. 

TS9509
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2014 at 8:30 AM
When my ds was 6 he was allowed in the back yard by himself. We had a 8 foot privacy fence the whole way around. He's 8 now and plays with the new neighbors boy out front alone.
Angelicembrace
by The Dorkfish on May. 4, 2014 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you! I'm checking that out! I think so too. I have feeling it's time, I will be a nervous wreck at first though xD.

Quoting catmommy22759:

I think it would be fine for him to go play outside.  If you need support for this Lenore's free range parenting blog is  a good place to go.  Also there are a lot of health and social benefits to playing outside, much more than with formalized activities. 

Angelicembrace
by The Dorkfish on May. 4, 2014 at 8:31 AM

I wish we had that :(. That's great though!

Quoting TS9509: When my ds was 6 he was allowed in the back yard by himself. We had a 8 foot privacy fence the whole way around. He's 8 now and plays with the new neighbors boy out front alone.

pinkfairy0206
by on May. 4, 2014 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this
For me no, because you don't have your own yard and fence. If you did then yes, that would be fine. My 3rd daughter is 6 and she is very smart when it comes to certaIn things but if we lived in an apartment with a yard that had no fence, no I wouldn't want her or any of my kids outside alone a nd my oldest will be 12! The house we bought 3 1/2 years ago my husband put up an 8ft privacy fence and only after the 2nd summer here I started getting more comfortable with them outside alone. We ars surrounded by woods the nearest neighbor is probably a 1/2 mile down. But still you never know!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 4, 2014 at 8:48 AM
2 moms liked this
Like 10. But I took an online quiz once that informed me I am a helicopter mom, so idk if you should listen to me. Lol.
bleumonster
by Emerald Member on May. 4, 2014 at 8:51 AM
My son was allowed to play outside or with the neighbors at 6 but there were definite boundaries. I also live in a quiet neighborhood. Somewhere like that I might wait another year or start him off gradually. Such as go outside with him but feel free to go in to check on dinner, talk with a neighbor, play on your phone etc. If he follows the boundaries then let him stay out longer without you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 4, 2014 at 8:54 AM
4 but I live in the country and leave the door open so I can hear them. Right now it's only my 8 and 4 year old allowed out without me. Next year baby brother will be 4
jen2150
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:07 AM
I started when my kids were 4 and 5 when they were old enough to obey the rules that would keep them safe. I would set up rules to keep him safe and make sure he was responsible enough to follow them. Rules would depend on the environment. The younger they were the more often I checked on them. I think kids in large groups are also much safer. Remember statistically family and friends are usually more dangerous to a child than a stranger.
cbear2
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:19 AM
Start small, allow him out but set clear rules n boundries. Check.on him often so u comfort youself, u will ease up. My son started at 3 but was very aware of dangers n i checked on him every couple minutes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)