Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i have a question iam confused about the word (survivor) and who can say they are

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

so  phyllodes a type of rare breast cancer tumor,  I had a 7 cm boarder lined tumor  phyllodes tumor but lost my whole breast. ( Mastectomy ) and not really sure if I can call myself a breast cancer survivor because it was not malignant but boarder lined .

I  am wondering if i am able to say that I am a breast cancer survivor ?Can you be called a cancer survivor even if it was boarder line, or none at all and did not have any cancer cells in it ? Or is it insult ?  (if so whould i say

I am a  breast cancer survivor from phyllodes stage 0 ..) I really don't want to say something if it is not the case.. thanks for your help

2 weeks recovery from surgery.. 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 4, 2014 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Texor
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:29 AM

I worked for the American Cancer Society for three years.  Yes, you ARE a survivor.  It does not matter if it was malignant our not...we would have absolutely considered you a survivor.

hautemama83
by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:30 AM
If the tumour wasn't cancerous, how can you be a cancer survivor?
TheFairestOne
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Not sure. Bump

lacyleanne
by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:32 AM
So if it wasn't caught soon, then it could've become cancerous right? Then yes, I think you're a survivor.
LectioDivina
by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:34 AM
I don't know... I never had a full mastectomy, but I've been through three surgeries to remove precancerous tumors. But I never felt like I could say I was a survivor either
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 4, 2014 at 9:39 AM

yes this type of tumor is rare they don't know much about it but they do know that it grow really fast and can turn into cancer fast as well.. mine was boarderlined which was almost turned into cancer. but still lost my boob getting a new one.

Quoting lacyleanne: So if it wasn't caught soon, then it could've become cancerous right? Then yes, I think you're a survivor.

AJsMom81507
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:43 AM

you did not have cancer.  you are not a survivor.

my aunt had a double mastectomy, she was a carrier of breast cancer, she is not a survivor.

my friend had CANCER beat it, she is a survivor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)