Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone else annoyed by the phrase "boys will be boys" to excuse bad behavior? (Updated)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 47 Replies

Now i understand that sometimes little boys like to play rough with each other but it drives me crazy when some parents try to use the whole "boys will be boys" comment when they have some really bad ass kids. I'm sorry but I taught my son that it is NOT OK to go around hitting, kicking and punching other kids. It is NOT OK to just be plain out mean to other kids just because you can! I'm teaching my son that you treat others the way you want to be treated. He is only 6 but he already knows that you treat others with respect and he is one of the most polite and friendly kids you can ever meet. Other kids can be jerks to my son and when I bring it up, right away they start saying "I'm" just overreacting and "boys will be boys". So boys get a free pass to be dick heads just because they are boys? I say bullshit!! As mothers, we are molding and shaping the men of tomorrow and I'm sorry but I refuse to let my son grow up to be a dick head.

Ok ranting over lol.

I edited my title since it was a bit misleading. It isnt the phrase itself that annoys me. It's when people try to use it as an excuse for bad behavior. An example would be a male child beating up or bullying another child and their parents blowing it off and saying, "oh boys will be boys". THAT is what I find annoying! Those of you that have never seen it used in that type of situation, bravo to you >.<

Posted by Anonymous on May. 4, 2014 at 9:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LectioDivina
by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:35 AM
3 moms liked this
I think it's over used... I just use it to describe them being rambunctious , not violent or rude.
bleumonster
by Sapphire Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:36 AM
I so agree,
kim15690
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:36 AM
Just like girls are bitches.
L202M
by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:37 AM

I think it gives them a free pass for bad behavior.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 4, 2014 at 9:37 AM
I agree and we ran into a little boy and mother like that last weekend...dh's best friends new girlfriend. I wanted to deck that little kid...he was just an undisciplined little shit. Poor ds didn't know what to do with himself because we've never come across a kid like that before.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:38 AM
It annoys me too.
Boys and girls are usually different, that's true. But this is used to excuse bad behavior.
My son is more adventerous while my daughter was more cautious.
But they both are ring raised with the same standards of behavior.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
staceysgorbach
by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:38 AM
I have three boys,2 are teens. The youngest will be 12 in June. And they play rough at home,for that I say boys will be boys. In public and at school,there is no room for boys will be boys. They are respectful and mind what they were taught at home. There is a time and place for certain behavior and never a time for disrespect. The female principal at the middle school here,grinds my nerves,because that is the outlook she has on boys.
MicheleJM
by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:38 AM
Yes I get annoyed by the phrase
rjsmommy214
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:38 AM
I never really thought much about it
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 4, 2014 at 9:39 AM

they've been saying that since TV came on the air...get over it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)