Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a question for all of you...

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:48 AM
  • 29 Replies
What would you do, if your child got sent home from school because he was making fun of someone's religion?
by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:50 AM
First be shocked. It's not like her to be mean. She stands up for her friends who are being picked on.

Second I would have a talk with her. Reason with her. Bring up her past issues of someone being mean to her. She would write an apology letter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetnsassymami
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:50 AM

she'd be in trouble and I would be disappointed because I would hope I raised her better than that.

Sharbear42371
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I would talk to him.  Remind him how it is unacceptable to make fun of others for any reason.  Have him to apologize to the person he made fun of.  

CGM2012
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:52 AM

I would talk to him and explain that it isn't nice and he needs to respect other peoples beliefs even if he doesn't agree with them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 4, 2014 at 9:52 AM

force him to go to services of the person's church he was making fun of...

Sekirei
by Sevrsaxhtharxxa on May. 4, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Ask him where he heard that from. however, unless he was being remarkably cruel or physically harming someone, the punishment from the school is enough,

I do it, but I don't in front of him, because he takes everything at face value. *shrugs*

polkaspots
by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:54 AM
I'd be confused, because she's four. And then I'd try to figure out why she was doing it, explain why it was wrong and then figure out a punishment for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LectioDivina
by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:54 AM
Quoting Sekirei:

Ask him where he heard that from. however, unless he was being remarkably cruel or physically harming someone, the punishment from the school is enough,

I do it, but I don't in front of him, because he takes everything at face value. *shrugs*

So you agree it's something that you do, but you don't want your child doing?

Why don't you want your child doing it also?
jobseeker
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Sit down and have a discussion about not beign a judgemental prick.

Explain world religions and how they differ from yours, (even if you do not have a religion) and then let them know that how a person expresses their beliefs is very personal. NONE  of us knows without a doubt what happens after we die, if there is a God or not, if he is Jewish, Christian, or Muslim. Hindus, Buddhists, and Pagans believe in different deities and some do not believe in anything.  No matter what a person's beliefs are is not a subject to be mocked.  To have a discussion for the purpose of trying to understand is okay, but mocking is wrong.

PPCLC
by AZ Lizard on May. 4, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Get all of the facts and both sides of the story before I made any decisions.

Were it shown that the child had made fun of the religion of another, we would be revisiting what they've always been taught--respect of others--and having to answer WHY they would be so incredibly rude, disrespectful, and offensive.

They would be accepting any punishment from the school as well as apologizing to the person they had offended.

They would also be required to then do some extensive research of the religion they were making fun, including visiting the house of worship in the area if they're allowed, and hopefully learning a valuable lesson in the process.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)