Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dog help.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies
We are thinking about getting a dog ( a rescue). He would need to be good with cats and children. And not too big, since my 8 and 6yo would be responsible for walking, potty, and such.

We don't currently have a fenced in yard, but will be getting the back done soon. And I'm ok with putting the dog on a stake/chain outside for some outside time till we get a fence, but they would mostly me indoors either way

So what dog breeds mixes etc would possible be good.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 4, 2014 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zacmacsmomm
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Well honestly, untill you have a fenced in back yard, I wouldn't do it.  Also I wouldn't get one and assume my children would be responsible for it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 4, 2014 at 11:24 AM

The shelter may not approve you because your yard is not fenced in.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 4, 2014 at 11:27 AM
I.ultimately will be responsible. But they will help, especially when they are home from.school. it will just be added to their.chores.

And why on the fence? Don't ppl in.the city have dogs? Ppl in apartments? The dog will likely never be outside without us anyway

Quoting zacmacsmomm:

Well honestly, untill you have a fenced in back yard, I wouldn't do it.  Also I wouldn't get one and assume my children would be responsible for it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 4, 2014 at 11:28 AM
Not a shelter. A rescue.

Quoting Anonymous:

The shelter may not approve you because your yard is not fenced in.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2014 at 11:28 AM

I would wait until you get a fence or run. It's a requirement for some rescues.

Honestly, there is no breed that is better than the other. It all depends on your energy level, how much you're willing to groom, etc.

We adopt from rescues, and the one we use has all of the animals in foster homes - so you know exactly what you're getting as far as house training, habits, how they interact with kids/dogs/cats, how they are on a leash, etc.

We got a 4 year old border collie mix just over a year ago, and he's fantastic. He's very gentle with my 4 kids, cuddles with one of our cats, and is fine with other dogs as long as THEY are not aggressive.

A month ago, we adopted an 8 week old puppy who is a pit bull cross. His mom was some sort of retriever, but the older he gets - the more obvious the APBT in him is. He is also great! He is 12 weeks now, and 90% house trained, knows how to sit and lay down, leaves our cats alone, and is fantastic with our kids.

We have over an acre, and it's fenced though.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2014 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this

People in cities don't usually have dogs that are outside without supervision. They are only outside for walks.

If you're never going to leave them alone, they might be fine - but a lot of rescues don't want their dogs on tie outs. Since you mentioned that, it sounds like the dog would be outside alone.

Quoting Anonymous: I.ultimately will be responsible. But they will help, especially when they are home from.school. it will just be added to their.chores. And why on the fence? Don't ppl in.the city have dogs? Ppl in apartments? The dog will likely never be outside without us anyway
Quoting zacmacsmomm:

zacmacsmomm
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 11:30 AM

The rescue organizations here wouldn't adopt a dog out to someone who would tie them up in the back yard.  it's not so much that you don't have a fence it's the fact that you will tie the dog up, even for a short amount of time.  They would almost have to assume the worst.  So just make sure you tell the rescue that the dog will never be outside without you there. 

Quoting Anonymous: I.ultimately will be responsible. But they will help, especially when they are home from.school. it will just be added to their.chores. And why on the fence? Don't ppl in.the city have dogs? Ppl in apartments? The dog will likely never be outside without us anyway
Quoting zacmacsmomm:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 4, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Good luck finding one. Between no fence, kids, and a cat, you will be lucky to find a rescue that will let you adopt. 

Randi02
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Kids and cats aren't an issue, but the fence definitely will be if she tells them she plans on putting the dog on a tie out.

Quoting Anonymous:

Good luck finding one. Between no fence, kids, and a cat, you will be lucky to find a rescue that will let you adopt. 

Texasladybug84
by on May. 4, 2014 at 11:32 AM
Well it's hard to know from a rescue honestly. You can go through pure breed rescues. Just be ready to give it lots of stimulation and excercise especially if you don't have a fenced in yard yet. We have two dogs with no fenced in yard that just means we keep an eye on them but were in the country. Anyways whichever dog you pick I'd suggest obedience training and patience.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)