Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Goodbye middle class :(

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 11:29 AM
  • 15 Replies

With the minimum wage debate going on, I can't help but fear for the disappearing backbone of America. The middle class built this great country but did you know that their wages have been stagnant for close to 20 years.  That's right no increase to keep up with inflation.  Now people are talking about increasing minimum wage to $10-15 ant hour.  Yet there are many middle class workers who make just that. I have talked to many employers (currently looking at places to work for when I graduate). Many have said that they will not raise wages of people already making that.  So people who have a degree or who have been there for years get to make the same as an entry level employee.  How is this fair? Ps please remember most jobs that are in America are provided by small business owners and not large corporations.

by on May. 4, 2014 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 4, 2014 at 11:38 AM
I agree with you that the middle class in the US is in serious jeopardy. I work in high tech and while we are all payed well, those that support our work - janitors, security, shipping, cafeteria, are paid horribly low wages. They can't afford single family homes on one income even though they work just as hard.

Where I live minimum wage has always been far below the living age, so minimum wage workers in my area have never been middle clas but the working poor.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 4, 2014 at 11:45 AM
I agree. If minimum wage increases, my wages should to for the hard work I put in to get my degree and pay for my liscence to work every year.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 4, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I doubt it will pass.

ame85
by Chemistry cat on May. 4, 2014 at 11:48 AM
I am very interested to see how it plays out in Seattle. Either it will cause pandemonium, people running in the streets and rioting, or people will adjust to it after a while and life will go on. Just with everyone making a wage capable of supporting themselves without working 2 jobs and having 3 roommates.

The next 7 years will be interesting.
Aayla
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

As a good worker who has been lower class all my life... I just don't really know what to say anymore.

SO MANY TIMES I have been given raises, b/c I'm a quality employee. SO MANY TIMES, my raises disappear when minimum wage goes up & the company refuses to raise my pay. I EARNED that extra $2.00 an hour, now I'm making as much as the college kid who comes in drunk?? Fuck that.

Anymore, I don't pay attention to class/social structure. I may not have much money but my life is comfortable and full of love.

In the words of Dave Chapelle.... I'm rich bitch!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 4, 2014 at 11:52 AM
Do you consider small businesses to employ 500 people? I don't consier that a small business. I consider small business to be 50 or fewer, they employ less than a third of private employees.

Middle class has already pretty much disappeared.
FlyingHottie
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2014 at 11:53 AM
When wages went up in Vancouver bc things went up in cost... People who were at that wage did not get a raise. It sucks...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 4, 2014 at 11:57 AM
If it passes, the hours at my office will be cut. There will no longer be a nighttime front desk worker, janitor or general support staff. Those jobs will be moved to daytime and hours cut to make up for too many people on the shift. Those jobs will also become part of my job, but I won't be getting a raise. I'm not against a wage increase entirely, but $3 an hour more just isn't affordable to a lot of businesses.
jesusismyfriend
by Love All on May. 4, 2014 at 1:08 PM

I fear for the future for children. :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on May. 4, 2014 at 1:12 PM

It's not fair.  I have worked for 10 years to get a job making $42k a year.  Now everyone will just be handed a $30k paycheck?  It's not right.  How about we stop funding social security instead?  We all know it won't be around when we retire. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)