Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I was thinking of getting a second job....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies
But I don't know if it would be worth it. I currently work 30-35hr/wk split between 5-6 days a week. I'm on my first 3m pribation. I don't know many jobs who would be willing to work around that plus a family.
We only need 900$ for all our bills and expenses. Which I can cover with what I make per month plus what we get for canadian child tax benifit. And universal child care benifit for two kids.
Do you think any job could work around that kinda schdule? Someone with two young kids. One who of which I am still bfing /pumping?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 4, 2014 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suzanneyea
by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Are you a single mom? Do you get child support too?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 4, 2014 at 1:41 PM
I am not a single mom. SO stays home working on getting disablity to cover his medications since his medical issues flared up and got worse. He can't sit or stand for long Periods of time. So when he can he does paid surveys. And gets about $50-$100 from that. But that's no where close to the cost of his medications.

Quoting suzanneyea:

suzanneyea
by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Don't you have insurance with your job? 

Quoting Anonymous: I am not a single mom. SO stays home working on getting disablity to cover his medications since his medical issues flared up and got worse. He can't sit or stand for long Periods of time. So when he can he does paid surveys. And gets about $50-$100 from that. But that's no where close to the cost of his medications.
Quoting suzanneyea:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 4, 2014 at 1:45 PM
I will be able to pay into one. At 6m in. But I haven't gotten an answer if it will cover my common law partner.

Quoting suzanneyea:

Quoting Anonymous: I am not a single mom. SO stays home working on getting disablity to cover his medications since his medical issues flared up and got worse. He can't sit or stand for long Periods of time. So when he can he does paid surveys. And gets about $50-$100 from that. But that's no where close to the cost of his medications.

Quoting suzanneyea:

suzanneyea
by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:46 PM

You are in canada, common law is also covered.

Quoting Anonymous: I will be able to pay into one. At 6m in. But I haven't gotten an answer if it will cover my common law partner.
Quoting suzanneyea:

Quoting suzanneyea:

lnrmom
by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:47 PM
If you get Canadian child credits, are you not Canadian?
Birdseed
by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:47 PM

As an employer, unless I was managing a bar or something where your hours were opposite your regular work hours, it would be difficult for me to bring you on with such limited availability in a "regular" job. 

You might be able to waitress, bar tend, etc.  You might also check out the Canadian equivalent to Craigs List (I can't remember what it's called).  Often you can find weekend gigs where you can just pick something up here or there. I've done that before--helping people unload a moving truck or raking leaves or whatever.  I've also done PT work as a rep for a dog food company.  Just set up a little booth at a Petsmart, hand out samples, answer questions, etc.  That paid pretty well.  Or handing out samples at a grocery store.

But having a second job similar to your first is probalby going to be tough given the hours/availability.

Further, if you don't really NEED the money, it seems like it would be better to just spend the time with your kids and DH.

Bluerose1482
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 1:51 PM

What times do you work with your current job?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 4, 2014 at 1:53 PM
You would think so but when we had the low income coverage for dental. Eye care, chriopractors and prescriptions. Mainly for the kids. He wasn't covered under it.

Quoting suzanneyea:

You are in canada, common law is also covered.

Quoting Anonymous: I will be able to pay into one. At 6m in. But I haven't gotten an answer if it will cover my common law partner.

Quoting suzanneyea:

Quoting suzanneyea:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 4, 2014 at 1:54 PM
Yes i am canadian. Born and raised

Quoting lnrmom: If you get Canadian child credits, are you not Canadian?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)