Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Cat problems, Advice needed! WWYD?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 65 Replies

My cat is 7 months old. We've had him since he was a month old. I have cats all my life and never had one behave in the way that this one does. He is like Jekyll and Hyde. He can be calm as can be and then will randomly attack me and my kids from nowhere. The only way he will stop going after us is if I lock him in the bathroom to make him calm down.  He had his shots and was fixed at 3 months old, I thought that would calm him down but it didn't. We play with him constantly, he always has food.  I don't know what to do with him :(

Posted by Anonymous on May. 4, 2014 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomTo2Boys12
by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:55 PM
Were in the same pickle. Our cat is 7 months, he's recently been fixed and the other day jumped on my 9 month old, pinned him against the wall and gave him a bloody nose. He's done it a lot lately. I'm wondering if we just aren't fit for him. Trying to find him a nice home with people who aren't gone all the time with little kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 4, 2014 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Cat from hell. Try a spray bottle
CGM2012
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2014 at 1:58 PM
2 moms liked this

He sounds like a normal kitten. Every kitten I've had has done that. Keep his nails trimmed to prevent scratches. Make sure he has lots of toys that you can play with him and he can play by himself. Does he have a cat tree or things to climb up high? Cats love to be up above people. Have you tried cat nip? That can help too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 4, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Quoting MomTo2Boys12: Were in the same pickle. Our cat is 7 months, he's recently been fixed and the other day jumped on my 9 month old, pinned him against the wall and gave him a bloody nose. He's done it a lot lately. I'm wondering if we just aren't fit for him. Trying to find him a nice home with people who aren't gone all the time with little kids.

We are always around him. I hold him alot, he loves that and will fall asleep. But then, he will just wake up and randomly lunge at my face. He will follow my youngest son around the house, ears perked up and will keep lunging at him until I take him and as I said put him in the bathroom.  The other day he bit my oldest in the mouth :(   I feel awful because I love the animal but I have no idea why he behaves like this.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 4, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Quoting Anonymous: Cat from hell. Try a spray bottle

We have done the spray bottle. He will run under the bed or sofa and then come right back again a few minutes later.  

Snakecharm
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2014 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like he's high strung. My inlaws took in a cat that was a stray and she took to randomly attacking my FIL. They were desperate and said either we take her or she's being put back outside. We had four already but took her. The first few months were really hard and she lived in one big room upstairs by herself and we spent a few hours per day with her. After two months we let her periodically explore downstairs but she had a hard time with the others. After four months she was down with us, but still really high strung.

What finally helped her relax were Feliway plugins. We had three of them, put in rooms that she spent the most time in (kitchen, lr, bedroom). Within a week of using Feliway the stress level was diwn and there was a lot less fighting. This could help your kitty relax a bit. The best price I've found for them is on amazon. Good luck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 4, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Quoting CGM2012:

He sounds like a normal kitten. Every kitten I've had has done that. Keep his nails trimmed to prevent scratches. Make sure he has lots of toys that you can play with him and he can play by himself. Does he have a cat tree or things to climb up high? Cats love to be up above people. Have you tried cat nip? That can help too.

Plenty of cats in my life, none of them vicious like this.  He has plenty of toys and Im always playing with or holding him. And yes, he has shelves and places for him to climb up. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 4, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Quoting Snakecharm: Sounds like he's high strung. My inlaws took in a cat that was a stray and she took to randomly attacking my FIL. They were desperate and said either we take her or she's being put back outside. We had four already but took her. The first few months were really hard and she lived in one big room upstairs by herself and we spent a few hours per day with her. After two months we let her periodically explore downstairs but she had a hard time with the others. After four months she was down with us, but still really high strung. What finally helped her relax were Feliway plugins. We had three of them, put in rooms that she spent the most time in (kitchen, lr, bedroom). Within a week of using Feliway the stress level was diwn and there was a lot less fighting. This could help your kitty relax a bit. The best price I've found for them is on amazon. Good luck.

I will check it out. Thanks. 

PinkButterfly66
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Try the feliway plug in and PetAlive Aggression formula (homeopathic, drug free).

CGM2012
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2014 at 2:07 PM

I'm not sure then. My cats and friends cats have pretty much all been like that. I'd say squirt bottle and maybe a talk with a vet or cat behaviourist.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting CGM2012:

Plenty of cats in my life, none of them vicious like this.  He has plenty of toys and Im always playing with or holding him. And yes, he has shelves and places for him to climb up. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)