Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gluten free snacks? *update*

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 3:49 PM
  • 47 Replies

What is your go to recipe?  We recently moved and at DS's new school snack time is different.  Instead of each child bringing their own snack, a parent brings a snack for the entire class.  I asked the teacher about restrictions and the only thing she mentioned was preferably gluten free, but that this child had an alternative snack.  I went to food.com and was looking at some recipes and one that stuck out at me was black bean brownies, but there were some mixed reviews; mostly raving about how great they are, but others saying it tasted like sweet beans.

For those asking "are you sure" about this or that, this is the correspondence between the teacher and I.

Ms. A_______
I am sure you sent out the information at the beginning of the school year.  Hower, it is not something I have recieved yet.  I understand that there is one day that we are to provide a snack to the entire class.  I need to know what the guidelines are for the snacks.  Peanut free?  Nothing home made?  etc.
Thank you,
Robyn G

Preferably gluten free, but that student does have an alternate snack, so it's not a big deal.  Otherwise, there are no restrictions.

I road tested the recipe tonight, since I did have a can of black beans handy.  For the adult palate, they don't come out much like brownies.  More like a dense chocolate cake.  The flavor is great, though, and the kids wolfed down what they were given. 

Update:  Sent the brownies in.  I also included a letter pointing out that I didn't know just how severe the intolerance of the student was or if she would even be allowed to have home made snacks, but that the recipe I used was gluten free even if my kitchen wasn't.  I included a list of the ingredients and gave my number in case there were any other questions.  When DS came home from school the teacher had written on the bottom of the note thanking me for the info and that the student was able to eat them and was thrilled to be included.  That made me feel really good.

by on May. 4, 2014 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ncbirdie
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 3:52 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 4, 2014 at 3:53 PM

You can still make snacks for your child's school?  Everything here has to be pre packaged.  Those brownies sound really gross too,  it might be one of those things that sounds bad but once you eat it it's good but I wouldn't expect a classroom full of children to even try something like that.  Why not just take fruit or veggies?

lady-J-Rock
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2014 at 3:55 PM
Gluten free rice thins and gluten free granola bars you can buy at the store. Carrots and celery, any type of fruit. You can make a chex mix using the gluten free chex. They even make gf pretzels and cookies using rice or corn flour.
ncbirdie
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 3:55 PM

I asked if I things had to be store bought.  She said the only restriction was preferably gluten free.

Quoting Anonymous:

You can still make snacks for your child's school?  Everything here has to be pre packaged.  Those brownies sound really gross too,  it might be one of those things that sounds bad but once you eat it it's good but I wouldn't expect a classroom full of children to even try something like that.  Why not just take fruit or veggies?

CByxbe
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 3:56 PM
Hmm not sure I would just do apples it some kind of fruit.
doulala
by on May. 4, 2014 at 3:57 PM

A lot of things are grain-free, baked or not.     Are you looking for a (sweet) treat?

ncbirdie
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Yeah, but simply because I like to bake.  And they have milk with their snack.  That's why the brownies stuck out to me; kids like brownies and it goes great with milk.

Quoting doulala:

A lot of things are grain-free, baked or not.     Are you looking for a (sweet) treat?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 4, 2014 at 3:59 PM

I still don't think most kids would eat those for snacks,  mine would try them because I have always encouraged them to try new things but most kids aren't raised that way and the minute they find out there are made with beans most won't eat them.

Quoting ncbirdie:

I asked if I things had to be store bought.  She said the only restriction was preferably gluten free.

Quoting Anonymous:

lady-J-Rock
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2014 at 3:59 PM
Oh check out KingArthurflour.com for tasty treats.
ncbirdie
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Who is going to tell them that they're made with beans?  I would simply tell DS that they're brownies and let the teacher know that they are gluten free.  I do plan on trying the recipe out before sending to school.  If my own kids won't eat them, then I won't make them for the class.

Quoting Anonymous:

I still don't think most kids would eat those for snacks,  mine would try them because I have always encouraged them to try new things but most kids aren't raised that way and the minute they find out there are made with beans most won't eat them.

Quoting ncbirdie:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)