Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The bill is how much!?!?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies
I've recently been checking my credit. There's over $2,000 in collections. I'm still figuring out how to work the site. I clicked on a tab that opened all the collections and told me who the original collector. One of them is the city I live in. I'm assuming its a utility bill.

Back up 7 years. We picked up and moved cities. We lived here when I was a small child. All of my moms family lives here and she decided to move back. She was afraid she had old utility bills in her name and asked me to put them in my name, because I still lived at home at 18. I agreed and we lived here for a couple years with the utilities in my name. We moved to an all utilities paid apartment, so we didn't need the utilities in my name anymore.

Somewhere along the way I guess she decided she wasn't going to pay the utility bill. Its now 4 years later and the bill is over $700. She promised she would pay it and its a big chunk of my credit score. I can't afford to pay it.

So, I guess my question is what would you do in my situation? I'm gonna talk to her tonight and tell her she has to pay it. I'm getting an apartment with my brother in august and if I have to pay utilities I will have to pay the $700 bill first.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 4, 2014 at 4:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MicheleJM
by on May. 4, 2014 at 4:30 PM
Talk to her..but prepare to pay the bill and resolve to myself to never consign for anyone again. I had to pay something for my ex to clear my credit. I feel your pain.
ColieO
by Emerald Member on May. 4, 2014 at 4:32 PM
I wouldn't ever put other people's bills in my name. Ever.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 4, 2014 at 4:32 PM
Do u have 2 seperate bills or did the utility bill grow to 2k because of interest?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 4, 2014 at 4:35 PM
I have a couple hospital bills and a cable bill too. The utlility bill went from $594 to $790 over the last 4 years.

Quoting Anonymous: Do u have 2 seperate bills or did the utility bill grow to 2k because of interest?
JRSMOM0621
by on May. 4, 2014 at 4:39 PM

since it is on your credit unfortunately they wouldnt care if you were responsible or not. I wound't put my name on anyone elses bills. ever.

Proud mommy of 1 special angel and 2 boys :-)
cdjd23
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2014 at 4:42 PM
You can try and go after her in small claims but ultimately it's your responsibility since you put it in your name. You can call and explain what happened and see if they will take a lesser amount to clear the account.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)