Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this fair or mean?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

Putting ds in time out because I am angry, busy and can't deal with him in the moment.  Do you think that's ok?

DS8 has started the habit of pretending to listen.  I ask him to do something, ask him a question or try and chat with him and all I get is "yes".  He has NO clue what I said, he's ignoring me and just saying "yes".  He's been doing it everytime I speak to him for a couple of days now.

It's rude, frustrating and honestly a bit hurtful.

I have warned him and warned him.

I was cooking dinner and baking at the same time and asked him to do something and he did it again.  Said "yes" and had no clue what I said.

I wanted to give him lines, but I was too busy to get out the stuff and deal with him, plus I was so mad honestly I don't think I could have without yelling adn lecturing, so I hollared at him to get in time out and left him there until I was done my task in the kitchen adn calm.

Selfish or fair?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 4, 2014 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jcm28
by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:04 PM
Fair
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 4, 2014 at 7:07 PM

BUMP!

ER-momma
by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:09 PM
Fair. I've done this with my kids. Even when they were younger. I'd say "mommy needs a time out" when they were small I'd put a movie on now they're older they know to go do something away from me.
Snakecharm
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 7:09 PM
2 moms liked this
Instead of just accepting a yes ... Make him stop what he's doing, look you in the eye as you are speaking, and then repeat back what's being asked of him.

Example. Billy, look at me. (Pause) I need you to set the table. Billy, "yes". You, "yes what? Tell me what you need to do." Billy, "you want me to set the table". There you go. You are sure he heard you. Now if he doesn't do it, that's a different issue. Lol
jjames1990
by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:09 PM
GP (general purpose) punishment. My father use to give it to me all the time.
LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this
This!

Quoting Snakecharm: Instead of just accepting a yes ... Make him stop what he's doing, look you in the eye as you are speaking, and then repeat back what's being asked of him.

Example. Billy, look at me. (Pause) I need you to set the table. Billy, "yes". You, "yes what? Tell me what you need to do." Billy, "you want me to set the table". There you go. You are sure he heard you. Now if he doesn't do it, that's a different issue. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kim15690
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2014 at 7:10 PM
2 moms liked this
I do this. It works

Quoting Snakecharm: Instead of just accepting a yes ... Make him stop what he's doing, look you in the eye as you are speaking, and then repeat back what's being asked of him.

nopenope666
by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:11 PM
What's that?

Quoting jjames1990: GP (general purpose) punishment. My father use to give it to me all the time.
ciaras_mom_05
by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:13 PM
Its fair
Miranda1127
by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:13 PM
It's never ok to discipline out of anger and frustration.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)