• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My mom thinks this was a cruel, awful, abusive punishment. Opinions? *eta*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 179 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you agree with me, or my mother? Abuse, or an appropriate punishment?

Options:

Abuse.

Completely appropriate.

I'm on the fence. Explain in replies.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 447

View Results

My DD just turned 8. She wears a Pull-Up to bed every night, and usually wets even if she's not had liquids a few hours before bed and goes to the bathroom right before lying down. Her pedi isn't too concerned as of right now, since she HAS been getting better, and doesn't want to try any medications unless it's still happening a year from now.

My twin DS's are 7. They continually pick on their sister for wetting the bed, at home, and on the bus to and from school, and it's embarassing to her, because she can't control it. I told them awhile back that if they kept doing it, that we would make them wear a Pull-Up to bed, to see how it feels. They backed off for awhile, but this morning, DD came to me upet after church, and said that during Sunday school, they were picking on her again, and told the whole class that she wets the bed.

So about half an hour ago, when they were all getting their pajamas on, I delievered two Pull-Ups to the boys' room, and told them to put them on, because they were making fun of DD again this morning. They seemed very ashamed and embarassed, and tried to talk me out of it, but I told them they had no other options, and that was that.

My mom was sitting in the living room when this went down, because she'd come over for dinner tonight, and when I came back out, she asked why I made them do that. I explained to her what they'd been doing, and that's the punishment I had warned them they would get. She got really mad at me, said what I was doing was torture, and I was cruel, and a bad mom. DH backed me up, and told her that he agreed with it, and it wasn't going to be discussed any further. She got all mad, packed up and left in a huff, and then texted me 5 minutes later, saying that she is considering contacting CPS because she feels that is an abusive punsihment.

*I have to add that DD was the one who originally suggested they wear one for a night, to see how it feels. I asked her a couple months ago what she would want me to do about her brother's picking on her.*

Posted by Anonymous on May. 4, 2014 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MilkLover0203
by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:32 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm dying laughing. That's freaking hilarious!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 4, 2014 at 7:33 PM

bump

seksen
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2014 at 7:33 PM
6 moms liked this
You were right to do it in my opinion. Give them a taste of their own medicine. Maybe they will learn to have a little empathy from now on.
SamiJ18
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2014 at 7:33 PM
Pshh, gotta get it through to them somehow!
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on May. 4, 2014 at 7:33 PM
We need a middle ground option. It's no way abuse, but I wouldn't say completely appropriate either.
3MusketeerMama
by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:33 PM
8 moms liked this

I am on the fence with it. By making it a punishment you are reinforcing the idea it is a bad thing, which opposes your stance on it being something that their sister shouldn't be ashamed of.

catcameback
by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:33 PM
23 moms liked this

They're lucky I'm not their mother. 

They'd be wearing the diapers to school.

TurtleMomma82
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I bet they won't do that again.  At least you followed through!

littlesippycup
by Baby T-rex Arms on May. 4, 2014 at 7:34 PM
7 moms liked this

I would be pissed they're humiliating her publicly. How fucking cruel.

elfling811
by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:34 PM
I don't consider it abuse, but not how I would handle it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)