Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To all the adoptee parents

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 4 Replies
Hubby and I have been ttc for a while now and were at the crossroads between adoption and ivf.
we decided on adoption.

I was a foster parent before we moved and absolutely loved those kids too pieces but hated that fact that they couldn't ever be ours, so will be doing straight adoption and preferably under 3. What are the first steps to begin this process? What should we expect? What are the good and bad? What about the financing?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 4, 2014 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 4, 2014 at 8:40 PM
I don't know, but I'm infertile too and we're going the IVF route. But when we were considering adoption, I bought a book called "the complete adoption". It has everything you'd want to know about both domestic and international adoptions - it even goes through each country. It'd be a good resource.
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on May. 4, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Ok..

Do you mean straight adoption from Foster Care? If so, some states require you to be a  licensed foster parent before they allow you to adopt. This does not mean you ever have a placement, just that you must be licensed before adopting a child that has already had TPR signed. This process is just like the foster care process, in that you go through the county/state for documentation. You are required to have a homestudy/background check for everyone over 18 in the home. The cost is the same as foster care- minimal/free. 

DIA- Domestic Infant adoption is typically done through an agency/facilitator/attorney. You need a homestudy/backgroun check/profile. The cost can be $25K and up....An expectant woman is able to choose the prospective parents for her child if she decides to relinquish. The best thing to do is to go through this process knowing that it is always a possibility that the expectant woman could decide to parent her child. 

International: This is always done through an agency. There are 4 layers to the IA process- county/state/federal/opposing country's government. You have to meet all the requirements for all 4 governing bodies. You need a homestudy/background check/USCIS documentation, and different countries require different things for the process. The cost can be $25K up to $50K depending on the country program you picked....

We adopted from China 7 years ago. Our process took around 2 years and was approximately $26K. The current wait is over 7 years however. 

Let me know if I can answer any questions for you. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 4, 2014 at 9:44 PM
We would wanna do in state infant adoption. We def don't have 25k though. I was reading where it was saying between 5-11k to start the process. My hubby's just afraid that it'll be 5 years before we brought home a little one. I understand the mother could change her mind
As a foster parent I've dealt with getting attached with a child then getting them taking away to go back with their families.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Ok..

Do you mean straight adoption from Foster Care? If so, some states require you to be a  licensed foster parent before they allow you to adopt. This does not mean you ever have a placement, just that you must be licensed before adopting a child that has already had TPR signed. This process is just like the foster care process, in that you go through the county/state for documentation. You are required to have a homestudy/background check for everyone over 18 in the home. The cost is the same as foster care- minimal/free. 

DIA- Domestic Infant adoption is typically done through an agency/facilitator/attorney. You need a homestudy/backgroun check/profile. The cost can be $25K and up....An expectant woman is able to choose the prospective parents for her child if she decides to relinquish. The best thing to do is to go through this process knowing that it is always a possibility that the expectant woman could decide to parent her child. 

International: This is always done through an agency. There are 4 layers to the IA process- county/state/federal/opposing country's government. You have to meet all the requirements for all 4 governing bodies. You need a homestudy/background check/USCIS documentation, and different countries require different things for the process. The cost can be $25K up to $50K depending on the country program you picked....

We adopted from China 7 years ago. Our process took around 2 years and was approximately $26K. The current wait is over 7 years however. 

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on May. 4, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Quoting Anonymous: We would wanna do in state infant adoption. We def don't have 25k though. I was reading where it was saying between 5-11k to start the process. My hubby's just afraid that it'll be 5 years before we brought home a little one. I understand the mother could change her mind As a foster parent I've dealt with getting attached with a child then getting them taking away to go back with their families.
Quoting mcginnisc:

Ok..

Keep in mind that with most processes/agencies, the payments are done in stages...not all at once...I'm going to assume that by in state adoption, you are meaning domestic infant adoption in your state and not through foster care. 

I would google adoption agencies in your state and get free information packets from them. Most agencies have informational meetings that you can attend. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)