Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MY DAUGHTER KEEPS PULLING HER HAIR OUT!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies

My 3 yr old has been pulling her hair for at least 8 months now and puts it in her mouth. I just noticed today that her hair is very thinned out - almost looks bald in the back of her head. I already talked to my ped about it a few months ago but I'm going to again. I notice that she does it mostly when she's bored, tired, or in the car. When I ask why she does it she says "because I like it."  I'm really lost with how to get her to stop. If I pull her hair back or clip it she will pull the clips and ponytail out. Her hair is short as it is and I can barely get it in a polytail. This is concerning me a bit. Does anyone have experience with this? How can I get her to stop? Please help!! 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 4, 2014 at 9:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zeezoo
by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:07 PM
I never pulled my hair out of my head, but I used to suck on it quite a bit.. No idea why I did it, I just did. My dad put a bitterant on my hair and made it taste super nasty. That stopped the sucking. Maybe if he hair tastes gross she won't want to eat it? That's a hard one though!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 4, 2014 at 9:08 PM
Stress maybe?
babie113
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:09 PM
Tricotilamainia (sp)
ame85
by Chemistry cat on May. 4, 2014 at 9:10 PM
2 moms liked this
I would keep her hair as short as possible. Like a pixie cut.
maureen813
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:11 PM
Well she is really very young to be diagnosed but I am a clinical therapist working with children, one was recently diagnosed with an obsessive compulsive disorder involving picking out the hair in her eye brows. She is a preteen however,
jojo_382
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:12 PM
I don't have a clue but here's a Bump
Mrs.Bryant1201
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:12 PM
Stimming.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 4, 2014 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Trich and pica?
chalisa0
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:13 PM

My understanding of this is that it is an anxiety issue.  You need to talk to her pedi again, or get a new one.  You might need to learn some redirection-type therapy.  

momto2boys3215
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:13 PM

my cousins daughter did it for years.  She finally found a wig that her daughter used to twirl the hair of.  She finally stopped pulling her hair out after using the wig for awhile.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)