Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All SMs, what do your SKs call you?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies
My mom is pushing me to make my SD call me mom, stepmom, or mommy and my name, instead of calling me by my first name like she does now.

She says that it brings me down to her level and therefore won't see me as an authority figure.

She started calling me mom but them her mom said she didn't like it so she stopped.

So what do your step kids call you, do.you think they should call you mom, and should BM have a say in what they call you?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 4, 2014 at 9:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wife.N.Mommy94
by Bone's Wife on May. 4, 2014 at 9:37 PM
I ain't gonna lie, I would not be happy with my son calling someone else mom. I don't think it should be force on a child to call you something. It's whatever makes the child feel most comfortable.
cinnamonkiti
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:38 PM

My stepdaughter calls me Mom, but I didn't have anything to do with that. She started calling me that on her own.

Her bio mom calls me my stepdaughters other mom...in part because she recognizes that I have been good for her daughter, where she has been lacking(I have posted about issues with her a few times on here.)

Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:39 PM

She calls me Jamie, refers me as step mom. My sdd did ask when she was around 4 if she could call me mommy. I told her no and gave my reasons why. She was fine with that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 4, 2014 at 9:39 PM
He called me mom once and started crying. His mom told him DH and I aren't his real family and should not be treated as such.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 4, 2014 at 9:40 PM
What were your reasons?

Quoting Jamie1972:

She calls me Jamie, refers me as step mom. My sdd did ask when she was around 4 if she could call me mommy. I told her no and gave my reasons why. She was fine with that.

emt088
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:40 PM

The call the Jen. I told them in the beginning that i was OK with whatever they wanted to call me, although im secretly glad they dont call me mom. They have a POS mom of their own.

Plus im only 11 years older than OSS.. that'd be kind of weird IMO. But again.. if thats something he wouldve wanted to call me, then I never wouldve said otherwise. Still wouldnt, I suppose

Tigress22304
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:42 PM

My step kids call me Kat/girlfriend (ss's nickname for me) or Mother (say it in a snotty teen voice)

They have slipped and called me mom, once in front of BM...she didn't bug,neither did I.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 4, 2014 at 9:42 PM
They call me by my first name. And my kids call their SM by her first name.
BrittSam2011
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:43 PM

My stepson calls me by my first name. It would feel weird for me if he called me mom, he already has one.

i guess the awkward level would depend on what age they became your stepchild. Mine was 5 when I met him (his dad and I were friends first), 6 when his dad and I started dating, and we married later that year.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Crashly
by Ashley on May. 4, 2014 at 9:43 PM
When I was a sm, they called me by my first name. My dd calls df daddy though. I think whatever the child is comfortable with is fine.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)