Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do you handle the beggars?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 86 Replies

Is that the term to use? Pan handlers? Beggars? Economic disadvantaged?

Anyway.

I want to know how you all handle this group of people.  Do you not make eye contact? Smile and shake your head? Dig out any spare change? What?

In my town, which is small, but close to being a subburb of a large citythere are only three major roads. At every intersection there is someone with a sign asking for money. To get out of my town I have to stop at 5 lights. At two lights the people just hold up the signs, the other ones come to your window.

I would much rather walk the mile to the grocery store on nice days, but my DD and I have been followed by people asking for a few bucks.

Some wait on the sidewalk in front of the bank (if they are not in the lot, legally they cannot be asked to move) and will ask for money if you use the ATM or go inside or come out.

There are a seven different grocery stores in a five mile radius. People wander the parking lot asking for change .

I have been cursed at.  I have been called racist, I have had them refuse the coins and throw them at me because it "isn't enough to buy shit". I have offered some of my food (an orange from a bag of oranges or the like) only to have it either refused on the spot or tossed aside. I don't smoke, and I won't buy smokes for strangers ($7 a pack???). Heck I won't even buy them for my DH.  I am on a tight budget (medical bills) and if I buy for everyone else we will go without.

Now I have donated out grown clothing to the shelters and I give to the food drives, but this is getting out of hand.

So I have to ask......is there a code, a behavior/action that I am missing that makes people think I am going to give them money if they keep bugging me? I've noticed that they don't bug everyone, but I cannot see why they ask who they do.

So, for those of you who live in a place where there are beggars... what do you say/don't say/act to avoid being asked?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 4, 2014 at 10:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WillsMOM72
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this
If their mean to you I wouldn't be walking to the store. I always only offer food, I refuse to give money.
catcameback
by on May. 4, 2014 at 10:20 PM

I pretend they don't exist and kepe walking.

ArmyWife112908
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2014 at 10:22 PM
I usually ignore them. I give money to the shelters though.
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Yeah  I always say, sorry I can not help you but i know of resources that can.  Especially those who claim they are disabled vets.  Back in the day I have given actual food to the truely homeless and friends were surprised that the people did not bother me after that.   I prefer to give food if anything to someone on the corner.  If i see a dog with them, I may buy a can of dog food for the animal as well.

mariere
by on May. 4, 2014 at 10:23 PM
For some reason I avoid eye contact and say 'no thank you' lol
faire_jour
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Give them whatever I can afford.

sugareemommee
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 10:23 PM
I acknowledge and give to those who pull at my heartstrings. If their story seems bullshit I'll shake my head from the car, if I'm walking I ignore.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on May. 4, 2014 at 10:24 PM

I haven't seen any around my area BUT if I drive to queens they are all over the place. If they have children with them then I will offer to buy them food, formula/diapers. I won't give them money because I don't know if they are going to use it for alcohol or drugs.

If they are elderly then I will offer to buy them food.

Aslen
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 10:24 PM

I will buy them  a meal.... I will NOT give them money.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on May. 4, 2014 at 10:25 PM
I ignore them unless they get pushy then I tell them to fuck off. And lady went batshit on me once I got out my phone and started dialing, she shut her piehole and walked away.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN