Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Airplane with baby

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 11:52 PM
  • 37 Replies
Traveling next week with my 3month old as a lap child, so no car seat on the plane. So I was wondering what u mamas used on airplane with travelingn with a small infant
by on May. 4, 2014 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
curvygurl1912
by Renee on May. 4, 2014 at 11:54 PM

My lap. And I nursed during takeoff and landing to relieve the pressure in her ears. That is excrutiating for little babies

TheFirstNoel
by on May. 4, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Give her something to suck on during takeoff and landing, a pacifier works great. My suggestion: Bring toys, but don't bring a ton. Two or three will suffice. You want to keep them occupied as long as possible without a crap ton of stuff. Personally I would try to avoid nursing while on the plane. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 5, 2014 at 12:00 AM

Now I don't know how ....typical this is on planes. A long while back my SIL took off with my niece to go be with another guy. Her father (my brother was in the army and was away training or whatever) went to where SIL was to get the baby (can't remember how old the baby was, definitely under a year). When he brought the baby back, the ladies on the plane offered him some sort of "crib" or something he could let her lay in. He had no idea they had anything like that so he was especially grateful. Maybe look into that and see if that's a typical thing you can get, or if only certain airlines do it, and how exactly it works.

2pink1blue
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2014 at 12:01 AM
2 moms liked this

Gate check your stroller, carry on a packed diaper bag and hold the baby in your lap.  Be sure to fill the bag with diapers, wipes, a small blanket, a pacifier and bottles (if they take one) and an extra set of clothes for BOTH of you.

I always nursed my babies to sleep when they were that young and it worked well.  Well, except for the time my middle kid puked all over himself and me 30 minutes before we landed... hence the suggestion to bring both of you a switch of clothes.

TheSilence
by Tá mé an mó on May. 5, 2014 at 12:04 AM
I nursed my son during take off and landing. I also planned our flights for night time (we were flying internationally) so he would sleep almost the whole time. It went really smoothly.
He's two now and loves flying.
nellyoleson
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 12:09 AM
I forgot a change of clothes for me and dd...had to wheel her through the airport in her diaper only....dh and I kept humming the song from deliverance!

Quoting 2pink1blue:

Gate check your stroller, carry on a packed diaper bag and hold the baby in your lap.  Be sure to fill the bag with diapers, wipes, a small blanket, a pacifier and bottles (if they take one) and an extra set of clothes for BOTH of you.

I always nursed my babies to sleep when they were that young and it worked well.  Well, except for the time my middle kid puked all over himself and me 30 minutes before we landed... hence the suggestion to bring both of you a switch of clothes.

rwcw89
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2014 at 12:47 AM
I heard about that . Gunna see if my airline has it

Quoting Anonymous:

Now I don't know how ....typical this is on planes. A long while back my SIL took off with my niece to go be with another guy. Her father (my brother was in the army and was away training or whatever) went to where SIL was to get the baby (can't remember how old the baby was, definitely under a year). When he brought the baby back, the ladies on the plane offered him some sort of "crib" or something he could let her lay in. He had no idea they had anything like that so he was especially grateful. Maybe look into that and see if that's a typical thing you can get, or if only certain airlines do it, and how exactly it works.

lovinmyboys...
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 12:48 AM
Nursing helps relieve the pressure.

Quoting TheFirstNoel:

Give her something to suck on during takeoff and landing, a pacifier works great. My suggestion: Bring toys, but don't bring a ton. Two or three will suffice. You want to keep them occupied as long as possible without a crap ton of stuff. Personally I would try to avoid nursing while on the plane. 

hnischke
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2014 at 12:49 AM
We only flew once when my son was a baby. He was 7mo and we got his own seat so he could have his carseat. It was really easy and he slept the whole time.
MommyAddie
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2014 at 12:56 AM
This.

Quoting curvygurl1912:

My lap. And I nursed during takeoff and landing to relieve the pressure in her ears. That is excrutiating for little babies

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN