• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what would you do?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies

A family member of my ex has a dog, a dog that she doesnt properly take care of and usually when these dogs arent taken care of or raised right they can get aggressive and hurt people. I have 3 young kids, ages 5, 4 and 3 that will be around this dog and well they are afraid of dogs except my oldest who likes to pet dogs, he always asks first. I'm afraid that this dog will hurt my kids. Like i said the owners havent properly taken care of it. What should i do? Voice my concern to my ex or what?

He will tell me to mind my own business probably and tell me he wouldnt let anything happen but as a mother and his ex wife i dont believe a damn word that comes out of his mouth.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 4, 2014 at 11:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
curvygurl1912
by on May. 5, 2014 at 12:01 AM

You are thier mother so it is your business. I would not be ok with my child being around an animal she was afraid of.

UpsideDown
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 12:02 AM

How old is the dog? How long has the family member had the dog? What kind of dog is it?

svolkov
by on May. 5, 2014 at 12:03 AM
Not sure. I trust my exh to keep.my son safe. Hes a great dad. I guess u could just ask him. Talk about it
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2014 at 12:12 AM

i agree but he will tell me that when he has them they arent my business and its his time to parent. hes the kind of dad that thinks the kids arent his responsibility unless they are with him. i dont know what to do

Quoting curvygurl1912:

You are thier mother so it is your business. I would not be ok with my child being around an animal she was afraid of.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2014 at 12:13 AM

she looks no older than 1 year old. about a month. pit bull, which im not against as long as they are raised right

Quoting UpsideDown:

How old is the dog? How long has the family member had the dog? What kind of dog is it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2014 at 12:15 AM

i wish i could trust mine but when we were together i took care of the kids, i worked and did everything. oh and he cheated and left and didnt want to see his kids for over 3 months until i went for child support

anyways, i will try to talk to him but like i said hes difficult to talk to and will tell me to mind my own business

Quoting svolkov: Not sure. I trust my exh to keep.my son safe. Hes a great dad. I guess u could just ask him. Talk about it

svolkov
by on May. 5, 2014 at 12:17 AM
Does the dog have a bad history? Can u contact the relative as a heads up your two are really scared of dogs and you would appreciate if they could maybe keep a close eye so they could get comfortable with each other

Quoting Anonymous:

i wish i could trust mine but when we were together i took care of the kids, i worked and did everything. oh and he cheated and left and didnt want to see his kids for over 3 months until i went for child support

anyways, i will try to talk to him but like i said hes difficult to talk to and will tell me to mind my own business

Quoting svolkov: Not sure. I trust my exh to keep.my son safe. Hes a great dad. I guess u could just ask him. Talk about it

curvygurl1912
by on May. 5, 2014 at 12:18 AM
Other than talking calmly about it to him the only other thing you can do is remind your kids to avoid the dog and to not approach it if it is eating.

Quoting Anonymous:

i agree but he will tell me that when he has them they arent my business and its his time to parent. hes the kind of dad that thinks the kids arent his responsibility unless they are with him. i dont know what to do

Quoting curvygurl1912:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2014 at 12:21 AM

I'm not sure, his family doesnt like me and wont talk to me. the family has me blocked on facebook and idk any of their numbers anymore. my ex bad mouthed me to all of them and they all believe him over me.

Quoting svolkov: Does the dog have a bad history? Can u contact the relative as a heads up your two are really scared of dogs and you would appreciate if they could maybe keep a close eye so they could get comfortable with each other
Quoting Anonymous:

svolkov
by on May. 5, 2014 at 12:22 AM
Then your only option is to talk to your kids. Talk to them about animal safety and warning signs etc

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not sure, his family doesnt like me and wont talk to me. the family has me blocked on facebook and idk any of their numbers anymore. my ex bad mouthed me to all of them and they all believe him over me.

Quoting svolkov: Does the dog have a bad history? Can u contact the relative as a heads up your two are really scared of dogs and you would appreciate if they could maybe keep a close eye so they could get comfortable with each other
Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)