Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Thank you everyone. (What happened last night)

Posted by   + Show Post
Thank you everyone who kept Raymond in their thoughts and prayers tonight.

In my work, I see seizures on a regular basis. So much so that they don't even seem like a big deal. I've never seen one in my own child though. :(

I can't even express how awful it is to see your own child in that state if you have never experienced it before. It was so scary and so sad.

Raymond was having a snack after dinner. My oldest son was in the kitchen with him. I was in the living room. All of a sudden my son brought Raymond to me and said, "Ummm, mom." I saw that my son was looking at him funny and holding him funny, but I didn't understand what was going on. I thought he was bringing him to me because he was a sticky mess and needed to be cleaned up.

When he handed him to me, I knew immediately that something was wrong. I remember saying, "he's having a seizure". I just held him and watched him. I remember my husband squeaking out in a pinched voice, "What do we do?"

Being used to seizures, I figured it would pass fast. It felt neverending. His gasps for air started to be fewer and fewer. All of a sudden, I started to worry that he was actually choking and that is what triggered the seizure. I started the Heimlich. Nothing was coming out and he was still seizing. I laid him down on the floor because I felt his state changing even more. At this point, he completely stopped breathing. He was not only unaware due to the seizure, his body was showing signs that he was blacking out. I told my son to call 911. I was preparing in my head that I was going to have to give my baby CPR. I decided to do a blind sweep as a last resort. When I did this, he gagged and started breathing again. The seizure stopped. This is when the paramedics arrived. At this point, his body was completely limp and his eyes dazed. He wasn't really responsive for about 15 minutes.

Anyway, that was our scary evening. He's going to be okay though.

Referring to this post http://mobile.cafemom.com/group/115189/forums/read/19906813/Update_Please_send_your_thoughts_and_prayers_for_my_baby?next=1
by on May. 5, 2014 at 2:18 AM
Replies (51-60):
.panda.
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:50 AM
That's so scary! I'm glad he's going to be okay!
Blovesyouuu
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:53 AM
So glad he's okay! That must have been very scary!!
cntrdmom
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:57 AM
That's terrifying. I'm so glad he's ok. How are you?
TrouserMouse
by on May. 5, 2014 at 9:02 AM
I am still pretty shaken up to be honest. I can't get the image of what he looked like out of my head. I just keep replaying it over and over.

Quoting cntrdmom: That's terrifying. I'm so glad he's ok. How are you?
cntrdmom
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:07 AM
I bet. It's so hard when it's your own baby. Just keep changing that image every time it pops up. It will get better in time, but you know that. Just keep holding him tight.
Is he ped going to do any follow up stuff or just wrote it off as febrile seizure? It's scary that it got so bad and went so long. I wouldn't have thought to do a blind sweep either. I was always told not to. It's amazing that's what worked.

Quoting TrouserMouse: I still pretty shaken up to be honest. I can't get the image of what he looked like out of my head. I just keep replaying it over and over.

rgba
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:08 AM
Hugs, mama. My son had his first seizure 2 1/2 years ago, and I can still picture absolutely every second. Please let me know if you need anything.

Since it was febrile, are they guessing it was a one time thing?

Quoting TrouserMouse: I still pretty shaken up to be honest. I can't get the image of what he looked like out of my head. I just keep replaying it over and over.

WillowRayne
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:09 AM
Hugs
Whisper85
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:18 AM
How scary! Hugs to you mama! I'm so glad he is okay now.
TrouserMouse
by on May. 5, 2014 at 9:19 AM
Well, in my experience, some kids are more susceptible to febrile seizures. It may happen every time his fever gets over 103 (which I will do my best to not let that happen again) or it may never happen again. I'm just glad that we now know it is a possibility so that it won't be so shocking next time.

Quoting rgba: Hugs, mama. My son had his first seizure 2 1/2 years ago, and I can still picture absolutely every second. Please let me know if you need anything.

Since it was febrile, are they guessing it was a one time thing?

thetrollcat
by Meow on May. 5, 2014 at 9:20 AM

hope he is feeling better!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)