Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Maybe money can burn a whole in your pocket!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Dh and I are trying real hard to get back on track. We got off track last month when our health insurance company sent us an $1100 bill because they said apparently we forgot to make our yearly double payment at the beginning of the year. The threatened to cancel our insurance if we didn't pay. We also got hit with an unexpected car repair expense. I got a nail in my tire. I took it to sear automotive to get it repaired. Last time I was in 8 months ago I bought a road hazard protection plan. Should have covered the cost. Apparently not! My plan got voided when I didn't come in for my 6 month tire rotation and aligment. To fix the tire I had to have a new tire put on, tires rotated and an aligment done. Cost over $300 to fix.

Doesn't sound like a lot of money. When your on a budget and you have all your money already figured out for bills it's a big deal.

Dh and I are saving every penny and working to rebuild our savings. Were working real hard to get a house next summer so paying bills on time and having money for a down payment and all that other stuff is important. Every unexpected hit is a big deal.

This weekend my parents hosted a family yard sale. Dh and I made $154 off the yard sale. My mom asked what I had planned with the money and I said, "putting it in savings." She said, "not going to spend it ha?" I told her no. She took her money $232 and went straight to walmart. She said she was taking my niece home but came back with walmart bags. Spent $70 of her $232. No wonder my parents are struggling to pay their bills.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2014 at 8:05 AM
Replies (11-20):
Bluerose1482
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:21 AM

Ok, so she paid off a bill, had ice cream (which I don't consider a major splurge btw) and $70 at walmart (also not a major splurge).  It is really none of your business how she spends her money.

Quoting Anonymous: I wish I could say she did. She told me they went for ice cream after we left and she gave my dad money to pay off the amazon order he had put on his credit xard a week ago. After all was said and done she had $23 left.
Quoting Bluerose1482:

You better fix the typo in your title before the spelling nazis show up.  

She still has $160 to save, which is as much as you are saving.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2014 at 8:23 AM
My dad is handicap and my mom is very ill. I am trying to keep them in their home because it's all they have left.

Quoting Mazie0723: Stop doing it then.

Quoting Anonymous: It is my business when she comea to me and say's she needs to borrow money for her health insurance or her electric bill. I am the one footing the bill to keep them from loosing their house. I cut the grass, I up keep the pool and my dh makes all repairs to their house. All for free!

Quoting Anonymous: That's her business just like you savings yours is your business
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2014 at 8:25 AM
I didn't take the car to get fixed. We didn't know about the voided road hazard until after the work was done. We had no choice at that point but to pay for it.

Quoting hautemama83: Its her money, and not your business. Just like what you do with yours, isn't her business.
Also fwiw, sears is the worst place to get tires. They're notorious for ripping people off like they did you.
Momtoone07
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:27 AM
You need to stop parenting your parents. Take it from me. I learned a forty thousand dollar lesson. Stop. For the sake of your marriage and YOUR family, you need to stop. You are the child. They are the parents. You should not be footing any bills for them, especially when it adversely affects your life. Please. Consider what I have said.

Quoting Anonymous: It is my business when she comea to me and say's she needs to borrow money for her health insurance or her electric bill. I am the one footing the bill to keep them from loosing their house. I cut the grass, I up keep the pool and my dh makes all repairs to their house. All for free!

Quoting Anonymous: That's her business just like you savings yours is your business
hautemama83
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:28 AM
Hopefully your dh wasn't the one to get ripped off like that. I mean, most dudes know better. Voided warranty or not, y'all got scammed.

Quoting Anonymous: I didn't take the car to get fixed. We didn't know about the voided road hazard until after the work was done. We had no choice at that point but to pay for it.

Quoting hautemama83: Its her money, and not your business. Just like what you do with yours, isn't her business.
Also fwiw, sears is the worst place to get tires. They're notorious for ripping people off like they did you.
Momtoone07
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:29 AM
I did the same thing. They lost the house, anyway. Helping them with repairs, etc? Sure. That is what a good kid does. Giving them any money? No way.

Quoting Anonymous: My dad is handicap and my mom is very ill. I am trying to keep them in their home because it's all they have left.

Quoting Mazie0723: Stop doing it then.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 5, 2014 at 8:30 AM

If you feel like you barely get by just to save money for a down payment on a house, what will you do as a homeowner when large repairs are needed?

WillsMOM72
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:30 AM
It's really not your business what she spends her money on. Even if she asks to borrow money it's still not your business. If you don't like it, stop GIVING her money. She'll never learn if you keep helping her out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 5, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Hard to expect others to control their spending when YOU don't.  $300 to fix a flat?  FORGOT to pay a bill?  Really you have no room to judge how others spend money.
And if you don't want to do those things for your parents just don't do them.

Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm always surprised at how cavalier some parents are about borrowing money from their children. Even more irritating is when they'll constantly borrow money from their children right after blowing their own. I'd be too mortified to even ask my children for money in the first place.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN