Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dog owners

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My little girl is 9 weeks old, how in the world do you make them go outside! She's good about going poop outside but for the love of god im sick of mopping 100x a day because she pee's everywhere!

Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2014 at 8:26 AM
Replies (11-20):
mich2.0
by on May. 5, 2014 at 8:33 AM
Squeeeeeee! She's adorable! You have to take them out constantly, and when they wake up and after they eat or drink. Lots of praise and if you catch her having an accident clap or make a loud noise and then take her out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 5, 2014 at 8:33 AM
I would take my pup out, every hour. I would get up every three hours and let him out. It took about two weeks for him to get it and we only had two accidents. As an adult, that dog would hold it until he explodes rather than use the floor. Pups are like infants. They need lots of attention now or you will screw them up for life. Lol Good luck!
PeggyS87
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:35 AM
You just have to take them out a lot. And until they understand make a big deal about how good they are that they went outside.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2014 at 8:35 AM

She does that when she needs to poop, she'll even wake me up middle of the night if she needs to.  But this pee thing is hard work LOL

Quoting 2babymomma: I used a puppy pad by the door then once he got the hang of that he would scratch the door first And I started letting him out. It only took a few weeks for him to fully house train

hhhanna
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:35 AM

Yes, like the others said, take her outside every hour.  However, watch her like a hawk between times when you're both inside.  As SOON as she starts to squat, YELL - NOOOOO.  And take her outside immediately; wait till she piddles then go inside.  Also, make sure you get a solution that takes away the smell where she pee'd.  If you just clean up the mess, she'll still smell it and do it (pretty much in the same place or places) that she pee'd before.  Go to PetsMart, they have several products which will take care of the 'scent' that they leave when they pee.

sam12796
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Depending on the age of the dog she may need to go out a lot. I used the rule for every month of age they go out evey 20 minutes while awake. Then after they play immediately, after they eat or drink immediately. Once out side say go potty or whatever key word you wish to use. Then once dog goes praise the heck out of them. Pet them and act happy etc..even reward them with a special treat. Eventually the dog will learn what the key word means. It took me about a week to train our lab. Our beagle a month or so they are so friggin stubborn. If still having issues look into a crate type thing for when you can not watch the dog for it's signals. You can also tie a tiny bell like you wear around your neck at Christmas around the door knob and hit it every time you take the dog out to potty. The dog will learn to paw it or nose it to tell you to let him out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2014 at 8:38 AM

She loves crackers lol maybe I could give her crackers for a treat for pee'ing.

Quoting Melissa...: Cute! When we trained our dog, we had to take him outside constantly. About every half hour. Then we gave him treats when he went.

thetrollcat
by Meow on May. 5, 2014 at 8:38 AM

you are not supposed to let puppies roam the house unsupervised

Birdseed
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:38 AM

If the pup is otherwise healthy (no UTI), then it's just a matter of timing and praise.

Pup should be in a crate that is only large enough for her to stand up, turn around and lie down.  If you have a large crate, block part of it off with a box.  Crate overnight and when you're not home. 

A typical day with a pup while potty training might look like this:

First thing in AM:  Take pup from crate directly outside on a leash. No playing. Pretty much ignore other than saying "Go pee".  When she does, praise. Lots of praise.

Then inside for breakfast.  20 min after breakfast, back outside again on a leash.  No playing.  Business time.  AFTER she pees/poops, praise and then offleash play.

Once back inside, given that she's been having accidents, tether her to you with a long leash.  Chances are, you're missing her subtle cues.  About every 2 hours, you should plan to take her out to see if she'll urinate.  Again, I like using the "go pee" command.  (very helpful later on when you're traveling or something)

That goes on all day.  Then before bed, back outside to potty and into the crate. No water in crate overnight.

Another tip:  take her to the same spot to urinate each time.  They get in the habit of urinating where they smell that it's been before.  As such, make sure you really get your floors clean because the scent of urine is going to attract her to urinate there again.  If in carpet, use an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle.

It really isn't hard, but many pups don't get the routine they need and they don't have the urinary sphincter muscle control to hold it like an adult dog does.  So you have to be Johnny on the Spot.  Keeping her tethered to you will keep her from wandering off out of your view and urinating.  It should help you start seeing her clues sooner.  And if she does start urinating, a stern 'No" then pick her up and plant her in the pee area in your yard.

Many pups get so distracted when they're outside that they forget to do what they went out to do. So again, being on leash, ignoring her until she goes, THEN playing will often help.

2babymomma
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:39 AM
I wish I had more advice. I got extremely lucky with this dog. I didn't know anything about training them to go outside but he got it real quick and in 2 years has never had an accident in the house even if he has to wait a while to be put outside.

Quoting Anonymous:

She does that when she needs to poop, she'll even wake me up middle of the night if she needs to.  But this pee thing is hard work LOL

Quoting 2babymomma: I used a puppy pad by the door then once he got the hang of that he would scratch the door first And I started letting him out. It only took a few weeks for him to fully house train

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)