Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Booze or food... that is the question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 59 Replies

Poll

Question: In your personal opinion would you rather...

Options:

getting one or two bottles of beer and having okay food?

no beer with dinner, but great food?

other? Please explain.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 68

View Results

Okay, so I am mad of honor/wedding planner for a wedding and there has been some debate going on about budget.  The couple has a smaller budget but are really wanting alcohol there.  Unfortunately just the alcohol they want for dinner (not including toasting) will cost almost $400 (if they police to no more than 2 bottle of beer or hard cider, assuming only 3/4 of the people want to drink), which is a sizable chunk of their food/drink budget.  I'm recommending saving the alcohol money for a nice champagne for the toasting and putting that money towards making sure the food is really good.  I think most people will remember good food over a lack of beer and would not forget bad food, no matter how much beer they got.  Thoughts?

** Adding details I didn't think to add until now.  If there is alcohol, they are set on bottles in tubs of ice (country theme wedding).  The amount of people wanting to drink is not certain, as some of the family is opposed to alcohol and we're not sure how many will not want to drink out of respect for those who don't or can't drink.  Also, I get the impression some of the guests might be heavier drinkers in a party atmosphere than just a beer or two (one of my biggest reasons for suggesting no drink with dinner, too hard to police, which I most certainly am not going to be in charge of).  Also, the venue is a 100 year old building, so they have certain limitations, setting up a bar is not one of our options, even f they did want one.  The money for dinner alcohol is the difference between pretty good food nd great food.  Oh, and they are sending out 200 invites, so potentially 50 more people beyond that, depending on how many guests they bring.  It is a kid allowed reception, too.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2014 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellybeanjean
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Good food. Get a cash bar. Some people think that's tacky but screw em.
Ginger0104
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 12:27 PM

I don't see policing the amount of alcohol each person gets as being something that can be done.  I'd rather have great food and a champagne toast. 

caustinb
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 12:27 PM
If the budgets that tight, get a keg or two and be done with it.
LokisMama
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2014 at 12:28 PM
I'd rather have good food and no alcohol thab lousy food and booze.

Just my 2 cents
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 5, 2014 at 12:28 PM
3 moms liked this
I don't believe that $400 is going to make much of a difference between mediocre food and great food.
pinkfairy0206
by on May. 5, 2014 at 12:29 PM
I absolutely hate alcohol, so that answers your question right there. I would definitely remember having an awesome meal over the drink.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 5, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Quoting jellybeanjean: Good food. Get a cash bar. Some people think that's tacky but screw em.

Not an option with the venue, unfortunately.  The theme is a country wedding and she is really set on tubs with ice and bottles, if they have beer and cider at all.  

ballerina18
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Tough one.

I think one very important thing to consider is the guest's desire for drinks. If the bride and groom know their guests will want to drink then that is something to consider. No need to spent a ton of money on alcohol if only a few guests will be drinking.

Personally, I think it is smart to just go for champagne/ wine and focus more on the food. People can meet up and keep celebrating at a bar if they want to keep drinking.

B1Bomber
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2014 at 12:30 PM
Nobody remembers wedding food unless it runs out or is uniquely fabulous/terrible. Suggest using their alcohol budget to put bottles of wine on the tables. That limits how much people drink without seeming stingy. I've been to several weddings that did that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 5, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Quoting Anonymous: I don't believe that $400 is going to make much of a difference between mediocre food and great food.

It could be the difference between wingin it and trying to piece together the meal and getting the caterer they want.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)