Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I throw out your resume if...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 737 Replies
31 moms liked this

You mention religion.

I work in human resources for a manufacturing company (we manufacture atm machines).  If I receive a resume that mentions religion, I toss it.

It's inappropriate and weird and quite frankly it irks me.  I figure if you can't keep your religion out of your resume, you probably can't keep it to yourself at work either and I don't want to deal with that so I won't even keep your resume on file.

******It is not illegal to throw out resumes that mention race, religion, gender, ect.. Those things shouldn't be mentioned on a resume in the first place.

It IS illegal to refuse to hire someone because of those things.  

There is a difference.

I can also fire you if you talk about religion and a coworker complains that you are making them uncomfortable.  I probably won't, you would likely be asked to not harass employees or proselytize during work hours.  

*****If you worked somewhere religious (church ect) or went to a religious school and have it listed in work/education history, I don't care.   That is not what I am referring to.  That is not writing about your religion, it is writing about your work history/education.

*****Again, no laws are broken.  It is not illegal to toss a resume that is inappropriate or unprofessional. Sorry to tell you, but writing about your personal beliefs on a resume is weird and inappropriate.  I'm surprised by how many of you think that's ok. 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 6, 2014 at 8:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
miss-karla
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2014 at 8:30 AM
What else?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 6, 2014 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I worked with a lady who did the same because she said it meant they would discuss it at work and that would make others uncomfortable. She also had a theory that these were more extreme right wingers and that they wouldn't work well with women as authorities. So it's interesting to know there is more than one HR person doing this. I wonder how common this is?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 6, 2014 at 8:31 AM
31 moms liked this

well I hope no one in your real life finds that out because thats discrimination based on religion, thats what you Atheists dont get, thats all you're doing is breaking the law and discriminating against a religion and its sad how you want Christians to let others live their lives any way they choose to , but you Atheists just cant let Christians live their lives the way they want to..

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on May. 6, 2014 at 8:31 AM
7 moms liked this

Never occurred to me to mention religion in a resume, unless I worked for a religious organization.......I wonder how legal it is to do what you're doing though?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 6, 2014 at 8:32 AM
okay. well most jobs dont require religion... but to actually toss it because of it....
Hanab818
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2014 at 8:32 AM
2 moms liked this
I would do the same if it didnt pertain to experience needed for whatever job i was hiring for.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 6, 2014 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this
okay. well most jobs dont require religion... but to actually toss it because of it....
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 6, 2014 at 8:32 AM
4 moms liked this

common enough that people should probably not mention their religion on their resumes lol

It's really not appropriate anyhow, unless you're applying with a religious organization, like a church.

Quoting Anonymous: I worked with a lady who did the same because she said it meant they would discuss it at work and that would make others uncomfortable. She also had a theory that these were more extreme right wingers and that they wouldn't work well with women as authorities. So it's interesting to know there is more than one HR person doing this. I wonder how common this is?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 6, 2014 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

why should religion be mentioned on a resume?

fatcat0908
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2014 at 8:32 AM
4 moms liked this
What if the mention of their religion pertains to useful job experience?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN