Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it dead? Stressed? Too far gone? Can I save it?

Posted by on May. 6, 2014 at 2:27 PM
  • 13 Replies
I have, or should I say had? A sour cherry tree. It's sick right now, I have concluded two factors, thanks to google, they are borers and cystosporina(cystospora). At the moment, it has nothing but branches, no leaves, no blossoms, nothing.

It has a few cankers on it, and has gummosis, which is sap, the sap is amber colored and is all over the branches and trunk of the tree.

My question, is my tree savable? I have an insecticide and a fungicide, if I spray that on the tree will that save it? Or should I just give up and do what everybody who my husband and I have asked about this, and just cut it down, and get a new healthy one?

What happened to the tree, was the house we bought was foreclosed on, the tree got sun scalded, due to not being watered and a dry winter, so that stressed it out, and it weakened. Then we got a wind storm and a huge branch broke off, leading the tree into an even deeper depression, and therefore making it more susceptible to insects and fungus.

Now it's practically dead, I think, or maybe it's hope, that it's savable, because we pulled a chunk of sap off and cut back the bark a little and the tree is still oozing water in the trunk.

So am I just experiencing wishful thinking or will this last ditch effort of insecticide and fungicide pull my favorite tree out of it's funk?

** obviously, I've done a bit of research. Lol
by on May. 6, 2014 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleusockmonkey
by Bad.monkey on May. 6, 2014 at 2:32 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 6, 2014 at 2:32 PM

when i read your title i thought it sad abortionist but im no help with trees so here a bump

shadowcat76
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2014 at 2:34 PM

I'm sorry :( My weeping cherry died last year..it was so sad! I have no advice though. BUMP!

Bleusockmonkey
by Bad.monkey on May. 6, 2014 at 2:34 PM
Lmao, I changed it cause I read it that way too...I was like, uhhhh, crap! Don't want that! Lmao. Thanks.

Quoting Anonymous:

when i read your title i thought it sad abortionist but im no help with trees so here a bump

Bleusockmonkey
by Bad.monkey on May. 6, 2014 at 2:35 PM
I'm also sad, I Effin loved that tree. :'(

Why couldn't it have been the apple tree? Why? Why? Why? Lol

I'm sorry about your tree.

How'd it die? Was it old?

Quoting shadowcat76:

I'm sorry :( My weeping cherry died last year..it was so sad! I have no advice though. BUMP!

chalisa0
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2014 at 2:38 PM

I don't think it can be saved.  I had a japanese maple that essentially had the same thing happen to it (and I held on to that dead tree for a long time, until one day I came home and dh had cut it down.)  Your tree might be alive now, but it is dying and will be completely dead eventually.  Take it down, and plant a new one.

Bleusockmonkey
by Bad.monkey on May. 6, 2014 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this
*lower lip trembles*

Damn it!

Sorry about your tree.

*cries*

Quoting chalisa0:

I don't think it can be saved.  I had a japanese maple that essentially had the same thing happen to it (and I held on to that dead tree for a long time, until one day I came home and dh had cut it down.)  Your tree might be alive now, but it is dying and will be completely dead eventually.  Take it down, and plant a new one.

holyhoola
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2014 at 2:42 PM
Can you reach where the limb broke?
Bleusockmonkey
by Bad.monkey on May. 6, 2014 at 2:44 PM
Yes. It broke completely off. We cut out a dead branch last year, during the fall, that was dead because of the branch that broke off.

Quoting holyhoola: Can you reach where the limb broke?
holyhoola
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2014 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this
They make a spray tar you can use to protect it from insects, I would go ahead and use it (where it's broken or cut). Also, sprinkle the white pesticide around the base to protect it from carpenter ants.Then give it another year to see what happens.
I had a Red Japanese Maple that I trimmed, the next year there wasn't one leaf. We almost cut it down, the next year it looked amazing! I'm so glad we gave it a chance.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)