Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think teens feel more pressure to engage in risky behaviors during prom and graduation season than at other times of the year?

Posted by on May. 7, 2014 at 2:57 PM
  • 38 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think teens feel more pressure to engage in risky behaviors during prom and graduation season than at other times of the year?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 76

View Results

by on May. 7, 2014 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BCauseImAwesome
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2014 at 3:29 PM

No. But my town started an after prom thing called Celebration several years ago. They are now up to 99% (and I think last year was 100%) attendance in my town and we havent had any prom night misshaps in years.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 7, 2014 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes.  For so many young adults, I think they view that as a right of passage into adulthood, esp if they have been dating for a while and may be going off to different colleges.  As a senior, you often believe you are all grown up - LOL!

Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on May. 7, 2014 at 3:44 PM

I guess it depends on their level of sobriety for those events. 

Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on May. 7, 2014 at 3:45 PM

How wonderful! We had something like that, but it was so boring no one ever wanted to go. :/

Quoting BCauseImAwesome:

No. But my town started an after prom thing called Celebration several years ago. They are now up to 99% (and I think last year was 100%) attendance in my town and we havent had any prom night misshaps in years.

BCauseImAwesome
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Yeah my town really goes all out for celebration. Its actually bigger than the prom. They have food, drinks, laser tag, video games, ice skating, paint ball, you name it. It lasts from right after prom until 7 the next morning. I didnt go to my prom but I heard Celebration was way better than prom anyway. And its all free.

Quoting Sparklepants747:

How wonderful! We had something like that, but it was so boring no one ever wanted to go. :/

Quoting BCauseImAwesome:

Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on May. 7, 2014 at 4:00 PM

That's fantastic. It seems like there are people injured/arrested every year in my town, but if there was something that cool there, I would have gone to it as a teen, and I guarantee others would too! No wonder the attendance is so high. 

Quoting BCauseImAwesome:

Yeah my town really goes all out for celebration. Its actually bigger than the prom. They have food, drinks, laser tag, video games, ice skating, paint ball, you name it. It lasts from right after prom until 7 the next morning. I didnt go to my prom but I heard Celebration was way better than prom anyway. And its all free.

Quoting Sparklepants747:

Quoting BCauseImAwesome:

Yum_Cupcakes
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2014 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes. It's the whole passage into adulthood thing and some even see it as a chance to get a last hurrah in as kids. 

OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Teens in general?  Or my children as teens?  I would hope that I would have spoken about the subject enough that they were able to make decisions that work best for them.  But I am not raising the world, I am raising my children :)  FWIW - I never felt the pressure at that age, in fact I was in my mid-20's before I lost my virginity.  I don't believe in waiting for marriage but I do believe in waiting until you are old enough (there is no set age).

pinkdaisy8864
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2014 at 4:24 PM

I do.

embrigmom
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Yes and sadly I think it has at least a little to do with what they see on tv and in movies. They show a lot of teens drinking or having sex on ethier prom night or graduation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)