Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Have you ever had to move your family back in with your Mom/parents?

Posted by on May. 8, 2014 at 9:04 AM
  • 204 Replies

Have you ever had to move your family back in with your Mom/parents? If yes, what was the reason? What were the perks of moving back home, if any? What were the pitfalls of moving back home, if any? Would you do it again? If so, why? If not, why not? Your answers could be included in an upcoming post on The Stir.

by on May. 8, 2014 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrimsonRose01
by ~Cassandra~ on May. 8, 2014 at 9:11 AM

I moved in with my husband's parents for a year when he was in Korea. We had to sell our house, and rather than me trying to move our stuff and a two year old into an apartment by myself (I was also pregnant with our second child at the time), his parents offered for us to live with them for the year my husband would be gone. It was great, they got to spend lots of time with my son and be there for the birth of my daughter. They wanted all the time they could get since our next base was overseas. I would do it again if the need arises and they made the offer. I love my in-laws, and we get along very well, so the arrangement was not at all awkward.

bluebunnybabe
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2014 at 9:14 AM
Back in '91 (at age 21) I moved from PA to TX with two little ones in tow & my mom & stepdad said I could stay for a month to get some money together for an apartment. I was gone in two weeks. It may work for some people but I couldn't ever live with family longer than that.
armywifey26
by Krissy on May. 8, 2014 at 9:15 AM
Nope. And I've been on my own since i was 16. However I've had many of my own family members move in with us throughout the years. Including my mother.
Melbornj
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2014 at 9:15 AM

No

Maks1mommy
by Emerald Member on May. 8, 2014 at 9:15 AM
Yes, dh lost his job when dd was a few months old and we could nor find work any where. We moved out after a year (paying her back rent made it take longer) but we moved back in after only six months gone because we were trying to by our house and didn't want to renew our six month lease. The house was a short sale and we ended up being there for a really long time paying a ridiculous amount for an air mattress on her living room floor.
kgbm13
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2014 at 9:16 AM

My sister has moved her and her son home to our mothers often.she just spent the last 18 months there so she could run around as she wants and get help for her son when he isn't convenient to have.  Since my fathers death she has also then gained full estate while I gained nothing including zero help when I had nothing to even feed myself.  

My SO moved home with his parents after his relationship with his kids mom ended.  He stayed there until he moved in with me.  His brother also lives at home after he lost his home and lives up north in the families cabin and his sister was at home saving to move out on her own.  She has been out for about 8 months but still goes home nearly daily.

Sister_Someone
by Rachel on May. 8, 2014 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I would be better off literally living on the street than back with my "mother".

Oh wait. That's likely one and the same.

mojogirl
by RoseannRoseannadanna on May. 8, 2014 at 9:17 AM
2 moms liked this
Nope and never will. Ever.
UCFknight
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2014 at 9:17 AM

We did when we were moving from Hawaii, back to FL. My husband was in the marine corps, so I came home a few months before he EAS'd, so I could find a job and place. Got the job, but we couldn't agree upon a place. He came home a couple months later, and within a week we found a place, and he found a job. So he stayed about two weeks at my parents home, I stayed there for a total of about 2.5-3 months. 

DanaG70
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2014 at 9:18 AM

When my oldest was an infant I moved in with my parents after leaving his abusive father, I only lived there long enough to get enough money together for a place of my own, about 6 Months. That was in 1993.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)