Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I survived a brain tumor AMA

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies

Ask away

Posted by Anonymous on May. 8, 2014 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Angelicembrace
by The Dorkfish on May. 8, 2014 at 11:34 PM
Why do you think you survived? Some people believe its strictly medical, some think its more spiritual, some think its a mix of both.

Also...

YAY! Thats so awesome that you survived it! Happy for you and your family:)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 8, 2014 at 11:42 PM

I have no idea why I survived. I don't even know how I got through it. I was diagnosed at the age of 26 after having a gran-mal seizure for the first time in my life. I was with my now dh at the time. We were only dating for a month. He called 911 & they rushed me to the er, did bloodwork & a cat scan & everything came back fine. They told me to follow up with a neurologist. My neurologist ordered an MRI & that's when they saw a golf ball size tumor in my right temoral lobe. They had me see a neurosurgeon & scheduled a craniotomy (brain surgery) to remove it. The surgery took 12 hours & was very hard to recover from. Thank god the tumor came back benign but it can come back. I didn't need chemo or radiation. I still had seizures after the surgery but over time they stopped. I'm now 35 & haven't had a seizure in 4 years off meds. I'm not very religious or spiritual. It was the scariest & hardest thing I've ever been through.

Quoting Angelicembrace: Why do you think you survived? Some people believe its strictly medical, some think its more spiritual, some think its a mix of both. Also... YAY! Thats so awesome that you survived it! Happy for you and your family:)

malissaL
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2014 at 11:43 PM
Any side effects from the seizure or surgery?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 8, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Yes. I have never had depression or anxiety until that surgery. I think it changed somthing in my brain. I now have depression & anxiety & take meds for it. No side effects from the seizures except how I feel for a couple days after having one.

Quoting malissaL: Any side effects from the seizure or surgery?

AngryBob
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2014 at 11:45 PM

IT WAS THE SIZE OF A GOLF BALL?? holy shit, girl, i would kiss the earth every waking day.

that's awesome for you, and awesome of your dh to stick by you like that. what a crazy story!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 8, 2014 at 11:52 PM

Yeah, it was pretty big. My surgeon said that they are slow growing tumors & I probly had it for 10 years before it starting causing problems. I think it's one of the main reasons why I love my dh & married him. He was by my side from the begining & hardly knew me. When I woke up from that first seizure he was crying & saying please don't leave me. (he's not at all a crier). He was at the hospital everyday to be with me even though he worked 2 jobs & had no car (he took the bus). This was almost 10 years ago. I keep hearing stories of people with brain tumors & them coming back malignant & it makes me feel so lucky. This all happened before us getting married & having children so mabey I survived so I could live long enough to have my dd who is now 2.

Quoting AngryBob:

IT WAS THE SIZE OF A GOLF BALL?? holy shit, girl, i would kiss the earth every waking day.

that's awesome for you, and awesome of your dh to stick by you like that. what a crazy story!

AngryBob
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2014 at 11:58 PM

did they find out the reason that caused it? like are you prone to tumors?

i have a tumor in my right knee, but it's from an accident, and it's just extra bone growth. i can have it removed any time, it will never be cancerous.

that is a crazy, crazy story.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 8, 2014 at 11:59 PM
I still have my brain tumor. Its benign so im in no hurry to have it taken out. Glad your surgery was a success. :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 9, 2014 at 12:01 AM
No questions. My cousin had one too but she was a child when it was found and removed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 9, 2014 at 12:01 AM

No, there's no rhyme or reason for them. My surgion said they don't have enough information on these tumors to know why or where they come from. The only weird thing is I have an aunt with a tumor in the same location of her brain. It causes her to have seizures too but she's in her 70's & doesn't want to go through the surgery to remove it & I honestly don't blame her. The surgery & recovery was really hard.

Quoting AngryBob:

did they find out the reason that caused it? like are you prone to tumors?

i have a tumor in my right knee, but it's from an accident, and it's just extra bone growth. i can have it removed any time, it will never be cancerous.

that is a crazy, crazy story.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN