Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

$4.00 kept him in jail

Posted by on May. 9, 2014 at 8:59 AM
  • 90 Replies
76 moms liked this

Just want to share a story from traffic court yesterday.  We were called to testify on the cop's behalf from an accident where some idiot girl was wreckless and slammed into my car, which caused my car to slam into a police car, and totaled them both.

True story - 

The criminal cases were first.  The sheriff brought in a young man in handcuffs.  The judge was talking to him and said that he had been convicted of a robbery charge, he had served his time, but was still being held because he owed $4.00 in court fees.  The guy stated that he didn't obviously have 4.00 on him and didn't have even one person to call.

The judge then asked everyone in the courtroom if anyone would be kind enough to offer up $4.00 so that this young man could be released from jail. The courtroom was full and I'd say about 90% of us raised our hands, my SO and my mom included.

The judge then said to the defendant that he wanted to show him how kind and generous his community could be.  He waived the $4.00 court fee and then told the defendant that he hopes that he will always remember the kindness and generosity of the people in his community.  And keep it with him, to think twice about stealing from the those who would help you.

I just thought it was a very cool way for the judge address the situation.  We all clapped actually when the judge said case closed.. Lol.   It was a feel good moment during an otherwise shitty day.

by on May. 9, 2014 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LectioDivina
by on May. 9, 2014 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this

BUMP!

April620
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2014 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this
That's cool
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 9, 2014 at 9:03 AM
4 moms liked this
I like that. Good judge
niki_hubbard
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2014 at 9:03 AM
2 moms liked this
That was awesome. Hopefully, it taught him a lesson and he goes on to better things
JoanahLee
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2014 at 9:04 AM
2 moms liked this

Thats awesome!   Best way to deal with that for sure!  Taught the kid an awsome lesson, and its not like he would not have used $50 in state resources by the time he got back to his cell an hour later! 

reuacod
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2014 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this
That's a nice story :)
seegrace
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2014 at 10:37 AM

BUMP!

Jamaicanmecrazi
by on May. 9, 2014 at 10:40 AM
What state do they not release you in for court fees? I've never heard of that
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 9, 2014 at 10:43 AM
Okay....
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 9, 2014 at 10:44 AM
3 moms liked this
That definitely made me pause and smile. Thanks for sharing!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)