Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Decision made! Teacher Appreciation gift drama! (poll included)

Posted by on May. 9, 2014 at 9:25 AM
  • 345 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: What do you think?

Options:

All the names go on the card regardless of financial contribution.

Only the kids whose families contributed go on the card.

Waffles.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 477

View Results

I have decided that since they left it to me to determine what should be done, I am going to put on the card "Your morning Up-K class".

I am going to encourage the parents to have their children make a card / craft to show individual appreciation if they want to have their child specifically singled out. 

Thank you to everyone that voted and gave useful imput. I appreciate it! 

I am the room mother for my son's pre-k class. Next week is teacher appreciation and some of the other moms and I decided that we would ask each family if they wanted to go in on a gift. We thought we would do $20 a family. Depending on how many people participated, we would do a Visa gift card, flowers, and some treat...cookies, candy, etc. It's totally voluntary and if they don't want to go in on a group gift, they can choose to do something individually.

The issue is the thank you card. I had no idea people would get so upset about it. There are families that are chosing to not participate and some of the moms think that if those families don't give money, their kid's name get left off the card. Other moms think that everyone should be on the card regardless. They have left it to me to decide.

Please vote for what you think we should do. There is a class of 16 kids, 3 families are not participating thus far.

EDIT (of the edit): Before I get a zillion replies that $20 is too much, it's not for this area. This is a very affluent area. Some of the families wanted to do more. It's not that these families can't afford that amount. These three families participate in nothing. They just aren't as involved as the other families are. This is the only group gift we have asked for money for. No one has been expected to spend money on even ONE other thing this year. But these three families aren't contributing because they are apathetic towards everything, not because they can't afford it.....just to clarify since I have had to answer that a zillion times. =)

by on May. 9, 2014 at 9:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 9, 2014 at 9:26 AM
2 moms liked this

If you don't contribute, then you don't get credit. 

jacsmama022
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2014 at 9:28 AM
3 moms liked this
Waffles. Definitely waffles.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 9, 2014 at 9:28 AM
4 moms liked this
That's as shady as adding your name to someone else's wedding gift!! If they don't want to participate, that's their choice, but they don't get to reap the benefit either.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 9, 2014 at 9:29 AM
3 moms liked this
I have been a room mom for five years. I think 20.00 is too much. In our district it's all the same week and with multiple children, it would be hard for some families. I always just ask for any donation they can afford. I also put everyone on it...example love, room 6.
Cmgmqmmom
by Sass Queen on May. 9, 2014 at 9:29 AM

What would you like on your waffles?

Quoting jacsmama022: Waffles. Definitely waffles.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 9, 2014 at 9:30 AM
3 moms liked this
I am dealing with something similar but on a much smaller scale, I am team mom for my DDs soccer team and I have a family that is avoiding responding to me about the $10 for the coach gifts. I just put the extra $10 in myself and will write the girls name on the card, doesn't seem right to me to single out a child because of their parents. Kids take that kind of thing personally.
Cmgmqmmom
by Sass Queen on May. 9, 2014 at 9:30 AM

That is not a lot for our area at all. Some moms thought we should do more. It's a very affluent area.

Quoting Anonymous: I have been a room mom for five years. I think 20.00 is too much. In our district it's all the same week and with multiple children, it would be hard for some families. I always just ask for any donation they can afford. I also put everyone on it...example love, room 6.

Cmgmqmmom
by Sass Queen on May. 9, 2014 at 9:31 AM

So, do you think I should have to put the extra $60 in myself?

Quoting Anonymous: I am dealing with something similar but on a much smaller scale, I am team mom for my DDs soccer team and I have a family that is avoiding responding to me about the $10 for the coach gifts. I just put the extra $10 in myself and will write the girls name on the card, doesn't seem right to me to single out a child because of their parents. Kids take that kind of thing personally.

-42-
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2014 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this
This. It isn't the kid's fault if their parents can't afford it, and it seems sad to leave people off because of it.

Quoting Anonymous: I have been a room mom for five years. I think 20.00 is too much. In our district it's all the same week and with multiple children, it would be hard for some families. I always just ask for any donation they can afford. I also put everyone on it...example love, room 6.
Cmgmqmmom
by Sass Queen on May. 9, 2014 at 9:31 AM

It's not the amount of money, I assure you.

Quoting -42-: This. It isn't the kid's fault if their parents can't afford it, and it seems sad to leave people off because of it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)