Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Am I the only one who thinks parents shouldn't be obligated to buy teacher's presents??

Posted by on May. 9, 2014 at 9:48 AM
  • 541 Replies
24 moms liked this

It's getting a bit silly.  They get paycheques for their work, people understand that right?

I can understand a card or small homemade gift to show appreciation, but it's starting to become a custom to purchase a gift to the point it's almost an obligation.

Personally I find it distasteful.  If a child or parent genuinely was touched by a teacher's work, fine.  But these parents organzing a group gift and then looking down on the parents that don't want to participate, expensive spa day gift ect. I think it's crazy.

Am I the only one who thinks this is stupid?  What's next?  Should we start buying gifts for our mailman, grocery store clerk, our doctor and hairdresser too?  

by on May. 9, 2014 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 9, 2014 at 9:56 AM
35 moms liked this
Besides family, there is no one more crucial in my child's life than their teacher. Mother's Day, Father's Day, and Teacher's Day seems perfect to me.
catcameback
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2014 at 9:57 AM
4 moms liked this

username123
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2014 at 9:58 AM
6 moms liked this
What happened to just giving them an apple?!
KRIZZ25
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2014 at 10:00 AM
i agree ..and tell them i,m on fixed income and cant..but will make teacher something at the end of the year.(food)
catcameback
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2014 at 10:00 AM

or  a card?

Quoting username123: What happened to just giving them an apple?!

Special_S4487
by on May. 9, 2014 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I saw a couple of kids this morning bringing big bouquets of flowers with "happy mother's day" balloon on it. I was like oh shit, I didn't know we should do that, I planned on having him bring in a coloring page that says "happy mother's day" on Monday...if I didn't forget...

LectioDivina
by on May. 9, 2014 at 10:00 AM
5 moms liked this

We're not obligated.

It's a nicety of life.

IfTheTiaraFits
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2014 at 10:02 AM
4 moms liked this
I would never provide a gift out of obligation. But with that being said, I bought my son's teachers gifts every year. He always had wonderful teachers that went above and beyond for him!
catcameback
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2014 at 10:02 AM
3 moms liked this

we're supposed to give them mother's day gifts too?

Quoting Special_S4487:

I saw a couple of kids this morning bringing big bouquets of flowers with "happy mother's day" balloon on it. I was like oh shit, I didn't know we should do that, I planned on having him bring in a coloring page that says "happy mother's day" on Monday...if I didn't forget...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 9, 2014 at 10:03 AM
14 moms liked this

Who ever said you were obligated?  Some of us want to do these things,  no one cares if you don't want to participate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)