Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do you deal with a spouse that has a disorder?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies

My DH has OCD. He's in therapy and they have him on Zoloft to help the anxiety, but lately it seems to be worse.

He has his routines and rituals. The other day we left the house and even though he did his ritual of checking locks, stove, and outlets. We got about twenty minutes away from home. He swore he didn't unplug the toaster (which he did).

He ended up driving all the way back home to double check to make sure that he did, in fact, unplug the toaster. Even with the medication it seems to be getting worse. :(

Posted by Anonymous on May. 9, 2014 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 9, 2014 at 7:03 PM

What disorder or which disorder?  How severe are their symptoms?   We take it one hour at a time on bad days and one day at a time during the good times when symptoms are not flaring.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 9, 2014 at 7:04 PM

The OP is up. I don't know how I managed to enter, without actually adding the post.

Quoting Anonymous:

What disorder or which disorder?  How severe are their symptoms?   We take it one hour at a time on bad days and one day at a time during the good times when symptoms are not flaring.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 9, 2014 at 7:05 PM
My husband has anxiety and anger issues. It was scary for awhile. I almost left.

He's on meds now, and doing much better though not perfect. But the meds make it hard for him to "work" sexually, which is frustrating and makes me feel inadequate.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 9, 2014 at 7:06 PM

It looks like he may need a different medication and some intense therapy to decrease his compulsions.  In the case of OCD we would take it one hour at a time getting through the day and getting things done.

squeekers
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 9, 2014 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I've got some ridiculous issues, anxiety, ocd, depression, all diagnosed.

My husband used to do the.... Turn around so I can check the doors and such. He'd cater to me completely.

Now he tells me to shut up. :/ at the advice of my therapist for my particular situation.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 9, 2014 at 7:20 PM

He's always had it, and for a little while the Zoloft was helping. I know a lot of it is because he's about to lose his job in the middle of June and so he's trying to find a new job.

I just don't know how to help him. He made us late and then I was pissed off.

Quoting Anonymous:

It looks like he may need a different medication and some intense therapy to decrease his compulsions.  In the case of OCD we would take it one hour at a time getting through the day and getting things done.

chell77
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 7:35 PM

My S/O and I have mental behavior issue. We both on meds. I hope you know you can apply disabilty for that. I have anxiety and sevre depression and bipolar and schizeffect and insomia and I also heard voice is my head too. He have schizonia whatever how you spell it sorry I also had learning disabilty to and he is also depression and anxiety and really bad insomia he havent slept over a month probably like 4hr at all for that month. Nothing work for him and when he was on ambein he slept drive and no accident either. Cop call my dad and he pick him up and bring him home. But we understand each other and manage. I am ocd with money and bills I have to check every 20 min on my bank account and my calendar to see if we have enough and see if we pay that bill. If I dont i have anxiety attack. He also anti social so that mean no together with anyone and I can handle small together just like my main family and I cant work with lot ppl but I am fine with one on one. But my S/O cant work becuase of it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 9, 2014 at 7:41 PM
I don't know, mine has bipolar, and he's sucking the life out if me.
Heisenberg
by on May. 9, 2014 at 7:43 PM

My husband has OCD too. It's gotten better over the years but I went to a lot of therapy. lol I remember those days of having to drive back to the house 2 and 3 times after leaving. I hated it. ((hugs))

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)